goldfish

Discussion in 'LOCAL NORTH CAROLINA TALK' started by kaleb5000, Apr 14, 2008.

1. kaleb5000

kaleb5000 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    is it illegal to use goldfish as bait here in nc. particulary here in south eastern nc. attached is my personel best flathead which weighed 17lbs it is by no means a monster but pretty decent considering i have just started getting into catfishing here in the south. im a yankee originally but have been down here for 7 years now 4 of which were spent in the marine corps so not alot of time for fishing so i have just started getting back into it. i hope to shatter my personnel best this year. also attached is a 35 lb flathead caught in santee cooper by my buddy while we were down there a couple weeks ago

Attached Files:

2. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    thats some nice looking fish you caught thanks for sharing with us

3. cat'n around

cat'n around New Member

State:
    Vanceboro N.C.
    to my knowledge (which aint much) i dont think so. they sell them in some of the tackle shops around here.

4. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    First, welcome aboard devil dog!!

The first step in overcoming your problems is admitting you have them, so when you say, "...im a yankee originally..." and "...4 of which were spent in the marine corps..." you are wll on your way to getting your life on track!! :smile2:

Be proud of that flathead. I started out with a seven pounder and was as proud as I could be!! More and bigger ones will come with some dedication and times spent on the water.

As for goldfish, I have never seen a law prohibiting it. There is a law prohibiting stocking non-native fish into public wates, but I don't think that is designed to keep people from using certain fish as bait.

5. kaleb5000

kaleb5000 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    thanks guys. and wylie cat beleive me i am proud i was so pumped up when i got that fish in my hands. it was by far the best fighting fish i have ever caught. i just know there is much bigger out there and i want em. i let him go so i can fight him another day. i almost always release everything i catch every once in a while ill keep a little guy.

6. kaleb5000

kaleb5000 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    oh wylie cat were you in the corps

7. kaleb5000

kaleb5000 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i replied to your posts guys but i dont think it showed up. so ill say it again i was very proud of that 17 lb flathead its just now i want bigger there is no such thing as to big a catfish. did you use to be a marine wylie cat

8. rhodey

rhodey New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I asked a wildlife officer this question a couple of years back. He said there was no problem unless someone complained about animal cruelty (they are sold as pets). I have used them a couple of times but get better action off of bream.