goldfish

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by jg_gmc, Jan 24, 2008.

1. jg_gmc

jg_gmc New Member

State:
    west virginia
    ok you guys are officially my mentors of catfishing....so im going to keep asking you all my questions. ive read/ heard of people using goldfish for bait. 1. is this legal? 2. are they actual little goldfish or are they those coy that you see in people front yards in the little pool? ive been using creek chubs/shinersaround the lenght of my hand and have caught a few cats but nothing huge, would these goldfish help?

2. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I use the goldfish in the Ohio River and other lakes. Usually have good luck with them. Far as I know its legal, never been anything said to me about using them. My PB Flathead 33.5lbs came on a 4" goldfish. If you can get Israeli Carp I like them better.

3. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i use goldfish when im in a quick pinch for bait, ex. a few weeks back i used up what bait i had left in my tank on a previous trip. wanted to go fishing with skip and phil, but all my ponds were froze over! and it wasn't good ice to walk on.. so i hit a local bait store, and bought some. I used to use them alot more, but they are getting too expensive and i can't honestly say they are any better of a bait then those i catch in the wild. the only thing i really can say that i like about them is they are very durable, meaning tough to kill. i have used them, unhooked them, and used them on the next trip. my suggestion is if you can catch your own bait, save your money, buying bait can become pretty expensive!!!! goodluck, rollo

4. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Here in Kentucky they are not legal to use as bait. However before I became aware of this fact we used them one night and the flatheads loved them.

5. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

They can be expensive unless you buy them by the pound. I can get a pound(4-6dozen,depending on size) for under $15. I agree, its cheaper to catch your own gills or chubs or whatever you prefer.
    Good post as always Rollo.
    Get ahold of me sometime!

John,
    I've been told their legal to use in KY. Never had anybody tell me different. I'll have to look up the rules and regs, can't afford a ticket...:wink::smile2:

6. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    They sell them in the bait stores here. I have caught a few cats on goldfish but that was when I was jug fishing. Never tried them on rod and reel.

:wink:

7. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Have to check if they are legal hear, never used them. I stick with live shad, or bluegill and sometimes minnows called tuffies.

8. zcat

zcat New Member

State:
    ohio
    I have a few spots near my home . That im able to catch goldfish or net them. Yes they are legal.

Attached Files:

9. joadb

joadb Member

State:
    Clinton, Ohio,
    iknow alot of guys swear by them but i personally have done better with gills,skipjack and chubs.

10. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    wow john, is that thru a wholesale bait company? they are an expensive thing here. nothing under a dollar, which is only 3 inches or so.. ranging up to 5 bucks a piece..i know of one pond that is loaded with them, but it is in the city in a housing development.. and its posted.. would like to go throw net it LOL:wink: rollo

11. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

Yep, its a wholesale bait and tackle company. I know the owners.:cool2:

12. luckey wade

luckey wade New Member

State:
    ohio
    Ive used and saw alot of flathead caught on Goldfish!

13. cats gone wild

cats gone wild Member

State:
    canal winchester, ohio
    I take goldfish out every time I hit the river. Rollo is correct about there durability and they react strongly to an approaching flathead. I'll stop at the bait store on my way out of town and then catch some bluegills at the lake.

14. smokey869

smokey869 New Member

State:
    frederickt
    i use them at times, i know a guy owns a bait store, when he is working i get them for a quarter each and thats up to 6 inches long, they are leagle in rivers and streams in ohio, they didnt used to be in lakes but i think they have changed that i will have to check, ive had some good and some bad results but they are hard to kill for sure lol:wink:

15. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    smokey, you know where the ramp is now..lol..you bring the bait... and i will take you out!! BUT, you have to hook me up with the bait link! thats cheaper then going and catching once you figure in travel expenses... rollo

16. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    You have probably saw this pic before, but Mellon has a gold fish pond where he can literally get thousands of them for free up to the size below

Attached Files:

17. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    japanese Koi are to expenseive i have never cought anything on goldfish in rivers only small lakes STICK WITH NATURAL BAIT thats in the water you are fishing :0a26:

18. jg_gmc

jg_gmc New Member

State:
    west virginia
    lol guys....fyi... never tell the girl working at the local pet store why your pricing goldfish, i think i made her cry.

19. x smokin joe

x smokin joe Well-Known Member

State:
    Monclova,
    Name:
    Joe
    Don't tell em your snake needs to eat either when buying mice. The best one was my buddy had a tarantula that was about 20 years old and they quit selling him baby mice when they found out he was feeding them to his spider.

20. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Justin, check your fishing laws to see what kinds of baits you can use, then spend some time this year trying to locate them and catch them on a rod and reel or in a cast net if legal. Up here if we catch it on a rod and reel its legal to use for bait, no matter what species. Baby carp, bullheads, bass, crappie, white bass, suckers, chubs, gills, drum. They all catch flatheads. And if you catch them from the same water you are fishing they make better baits than pond raised goldfish that have never seen a predator. lol