Goldfish

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by GUNTZ, Jul 17, 2007.

1. GUNTZ

GUNTZ New Member

State:
    CLEBURNE texas
    DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY LUCK WITH GOLDFISH FOR FLATS,IF SO CAN U GIVE ME SOME POINTERS.

2. Goldenshinner

Goldenshinner New Member

we cant use them for bait were im from, but my pal used to use them all the time in callifornia. lightly hooked thru lip or back too prevent death. use the biggest ones you can get your hands on. in some areas they are the only decient sized bait available.

3. Light

Light New Member

State:
    Ohio
    We used em in the miami, those and Isriali carp...got 16lber and some smaller ones too....the goldies did better then the carp tho

4. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    I think those flatties really like or can't stand goldfish because they enjoy attacking them.

5. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    I use them all the time,3-6 inches and they are great flathead bait. I hook them in the back like gills and they live forever.
    Chip

6. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    Yep they work pretty good here in Ca. It's the default bait for when we can't catch bluegills or to make sure we have enough if we only catch a few bluegill.

7. cataholic

cataholic New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I use gold fish in a small lake here for flatheads and they ussually do the trick.

I hook them in their back to keep them alive and use them on a carolina type rig but when the flatheads are on the move I use them on a bobber ... that way is alot of fun to watch cause you can tell when the flatheads are close the gold fish will start darting all around trying to escape its not to long afterwards and the bobber goes under :wink:

8. godsglad8tor

godsglad8tor New Member

State:
    Riverside, CA
    i dont blame your for using live bait, i do it all the time, just watch your back my man:cool2:

fishing fines are no bueno, id rather get a ticket for speeding rather than for fishing

9. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    i have used goldfish for flats before. they work pretty well. you will also catch striper, largemouth, small mouth, channels, and gar on goldfish. black saltys work really well, but they are kind of expensive. the ones i use are around 5 to 7 inches. if you cant find them that size, you can hook a couple of 3 inchers together on your hook. hook them facing diffrent directions, thats how i do it and it works well.

10. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Goldfish are not legal to use for bait in Pa.!:angry:

11. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I think he is right not legal. I even had the pet store owner last summer ask me your not using this for bait are you. I was in the store with my friend who was buying them to feed his fish and I happen to have my fishing license pinned to my shirt.

12. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    mikey(godsglad8tor)yes live bait(non gamefish) and goldfish can be used on the colorado river(CA) and all its backwaters and canals.

as jagDr said here on the colorado it makes for a good stand by bait. got the 45lb flat in my avaitor on a 2 1/2 goldfish when I couldn't come up with any bait for a derby we were having and was able to $350 on to boot. Never thought I had a chance when I took off that nite:big_smile:>. there easy to keep and will stay alive forever