Goldfish

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by catfishing is fun, Jan 24, 2007.

1. catfishing is fun

catfishing is fun New Member

State:
    Missouri/Michigan
    What are the ins and outs of using goldfish, how are they best presented, when are they most effective, and will the bigger goldfish from walmart work or do i need a different type

Thanks for the help

2. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    I haven't used goldfish that many times, but I can tell you that they are a hardy bait when used alive. They stay alive a long time.....Which means I wasn't catching any fish. Actually caught a couple of flatties in the Ohio River on the same goldfish. Once alive and once dead.

3. allworknofish

allworknofish New Member

State:
    texas
    goldfish work great, but not from walmart. get them from a bait shop if available. small carp also are execelent bait for big flatties, and of course, thats all a gold fish is, is an ornamental carp

4. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Remeber Goldfish is a pet, I dont think they would make good bait.

5. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I caught my PB flattie 33.5lbs on a 3-4" goldfish.I almost always catch cats when I use goldfish and Israeli carp(my new favorite bait)

6. F150Catfish

F150Catfish New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    I don't know about walmart goldfish but I bought goldfish at bait shop. they are about 3-5inch goldfish as 1 dollar for each goldfish..

7. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    GOLDFISH ARE GOOD FOR CATCHING FLATHEADS BUT LIKE THE OTHER POSTS YOU NEED TO GET THEM FROM YOUR BAIT SHOP.

8. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    Use Goldfish just as you would use any other bait fish. Cut or alive. Both have produced for me. Just have to find the fish first.

Wheelmobile07

9. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    Trey, does anybody in your area sell goldfish? Cant find them in Roanoke and the bait shop below Claytor dam quit selling them.

10. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    Yes, there is as a matter of fact. Just not this time of year. Starting around the first of march my uncles bait shop opens here in martinsville and he sells them. He caters to mostly catfisherman and striper anglers. Sells them all sizes too. Along with all the abu reels and cat rods you could want.

Wheelmobile07

11. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    Let me know when the bait shop opens and where it is, I am in martinville about once a month for work.

12. james_s333

james_s333 New Member

State:
    byesville,ohio
    most bait shops carrie goldfish but some dont i use them sometimes and i get a veriaty of sizes from 2 inchs to 4 inchs and i do great with them some

13. BILLYP

BILLYP New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, North Carol
    If your local bait shop doesnt sell them you can go to petsmart or any aquarium fish store and they work the same. Me and my buddy actually tried the ones from the bait shop and the ones from petsmart. The quality of petsmarts actually did better than the baitshops. So it all depends on the shop i guess.

14. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Goldfish are excellent bait or blues and flatheads. Live is of course better for the flatheads and cut works great for blues. Goldfish are about as tough as bluegill, hard to kill. Go to a bait shop for the goldfish. They will be much bigger and stronger than the minnows at Wal Mart. Good luck.

15. Team StrayCats

Team StrayCats New Member

State:
    florida
    I use to sell 5" to 10" long gold fish in my bait shop and when i went to a tournament in INDY i would use the white gold fish. Always had better luck on the white ones. Check out your local bait shop for gold fish they are alot cheaper than the pet stores and walmarts.

16. IamMike

IamMike New Member

State:
    Ohio (near cincy)
    Don't let a game warden catch you with goldfish in your bait bucket. That would be introducing a non-native fish...