Goldfish

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by fisherman94580, Dec 29, 2006.

1. fisherman94580

fisherman94580 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Went out and got about a dozen large goldfish today, gonna use them out on the Ohio tomorrow. Should I use them live, cut up? and what's the best way to rig them?

2. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    I beleive gold fish are used mostly live for flatheads. The reason they make a good bait is because they are a harty fish and can stay alive on a hook for hours. I don't know if you will have much luck for flatheads this time of year on the Ohio , unless you can find one of their wintering holes. I wouldn't pay the $10 a pound and use them for cut bait. although since you already got them i would go ahead n use em live , I beleive blues have been known to take live bait also.

3. heavyduty

heavyduty New Member

State:
    Grand Gulf,MS
    I have caught a bunch of blues on goldfish down here on the Mississippi River. I mainly fish for flatheads with them but blues will hit them just as good, and use them live.

4. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    I tried goldfish on the Ohio River once for flatties and did well with them alive.

5. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    I use them live like everyone else said, but with the big ones after they have died we have cut them up in the past and put them on a hook and caught channels with them. I am sure that a blue will hit a nice cut of one as well.

6. SNAGGED

SNAGGED New Member

State:
    Tahlequah Oklahoma
    How big is a large goldfish. The bait store here sells them one size. Like a medium crappie minnow.

7. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Oh yea you can catch blues on goldfish channels to:confident:

8. heavyduty

heavyduty New Member

State:
    Grand Gulf,MS
    Snagged, down here at the bait shop where i buy goldfish at,they sell them by the pound at 7 bucks a pound and on average you get between 25 and 30 to the pound and and sometimes all they have are big ones that run 10 to 15 to a pound, but they grow very big, I have seen them in ponds up to about 5 pounds and have heard stories of them bigger than that.

9. SNAGGED

SNAGGED New Member

State:
    Tahlequah Oklahoma
    Heavy Duty- I asked them at the bait shop one day and they told me about the size of a medium crappie minnow. I think they were 3.75 a dozen. I thought that was to small for catfishing for anything with any size. On the farm, we put goldfish in our water tanks that had propane heaters and the would grow. Too bad I dont have access to that now. I might just fish for monster goldfish. Thanks buddy.

10. heavyduty413

heavyduty413 New Member

State:
    virginia
    What's the best way to put them on the hook?

11. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat Active Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Has anyone raised them. If it isn't that had I would raised a few hundred of them till they were 6 inchers or so. . Its got to be cheaper than buying em

12. fishnfool68

fishnfool68 New Member

State:
    Near Tulsa Oklahoma
    I hook them behind the head in the back dorsal area.I like to scale alittle off of them on one side-get the juices flowin

13. troyedm

troyedm New Member

State:
    edmond oklahoma
    used to be a pond between drumright and cushing okla that was full of them. it set nort of the hwy 33&99 intersection. guess some day i'll have to go see if its still there. they were giant back then. (1963)

14. diotec

diotec New Member

State:
    Nashville/TN
    I usually get them by the tail...

15. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    I HAVE ABOUT 30 GROWING RIGHT NOW, GETTING READY FOR SPRING. BUT TO ANSWER THE QUESTION I WOULD USE THEM LIVE BUT IF ANY DIE I WOULD USE THEM AS CUT BAIT.

16. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Fished with a goldfish relative, called black salties, Saturday. These things were about 3-4" long. It was a cold, wet, windy day, so it didn't turn out to be a good test, but did catch two 5 lb blues. Used them again Monday, but they didn't do well, shrimp out performed.

17. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    Up here in the Great state of Michigan, it is against the law to fish with goldfish as bait.
    Sparky

18. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I dont think u can use goldfish for bait here nethier, I think they are better baits than goldfish like bream, shad, and skipjack. just my two cents.

19. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    I caught my biggest blue on a live goldfish but have also caught many twenty pounders on cut goldfish too.

Wheelmobile07