Goldfish

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by primitivefrn, Nov 22, 2006.

1. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    Has anybody noticed glodfish working, better, at certian, times of the year,
    Dec., has been the best for me, several years ago on trotline, woudn,t take bullheads changed to glodfish and started catching.
    Bullheads work, better in late spring for me. Goldfish dont seem to work, in summer, green sunfish & shad seem to be the best, all around, here,
    any thoughts
    JIM

2. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    I don't use Goldfish too often. I tried some back in June and didn't even get a bite. I was catching fish on cut shad and chicken liver. Maybe I should have cut up the goldfish!!

3. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    i use goldfish in winter, just cuz bluegill and other perch are so dang hard to catch in cold water

4. TeamWhiskers

TeamWhiskers New Member

State:
    Missouri
    The gold fish we have been getting in around here are like a cross breed that look like orange carp. They are not as lively and messy to keep so I quit using them.
    You will notice that different baits work best depending upon the time of year and water conditions. This is why I carry 8 different types of bait and normally fall back on fresh that I got out of that body of water with a throw net.

5. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I often use goldfish when i fish in OK. they are legal there and they seem to work much better at certain times than others we usually use them in winter fishing though mostly because we cant catch shad for bait and end up buying them as a last resort

6. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    I fish with whatever is available during the time of year. I do better on goldfish during colder months simply because I use them more (shad, gills, etc. are harder to come by). I have also done well on small freshwater drum during the winter.

7. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    I have, had good luck on freshwater drum, too. Caught mainly flatheads on them, seems like their are several types of goldfish some do look like orange carp.
    Jim

8. heavyduty

heavyduty New Member

State:
    Grand Gulf,MS
    I have better luck with them in the fall and early winter.

9. Muleskinner

Muleskinner New Member

State:
    Ms.
    I have never even seen a bait store around home that sells them. I would like to try them in between deer hunts this winter

10. Shep

Shep New Member

State:
    Lamar Arkansas
    Jim do you cut the small drum or use them whole?

11. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    Shep Ive always used them, live and whole, Ive had good luck on bank lines, seem to have caught more flatheads , than blues, when catching shad and get some drum, I sure use them. their not two hardy, cut bait I usually use shad and carp or buffalo.
    have used , them on trotlines too, in years past only rod and reel now.
    Jim

12. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I cant see myself using goldfish for bait. I like them for pets.