Goldfish

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by chris45601, Jul 11, 2006.

1. chris45601

chris45601 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Ok. I'm really going for size here (who isn't) Well a lot of people have been telling me bream, shad and etc. Well i can't get ahold of bream and not sure if there is a bait shop that sells shad. My question is for a nice flat what would be the best way to use the goldfish cut or alvie or just expirement?

2. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    most defianlty Alive

3. chris45601

chris45601 New Member

State:
    ohio
    lowwer jaw through nose to dorsel fin? how you hook it right?

4. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    No, you dont want to kill it..LOL...I usually just hook them either threw the very back of the tail, or if it is a bigger bait, i ill hook it through the lips....You want to hook them some where that he is going to stay alive, and also be able to swim or "flutter" around to attract attention to himself

5. chris45601

chris45601 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Well See i was doing it like that and those lil guys stayed alive for hours, but ill try at the back of the tail and see what happens

6. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    Well you got to go with what works for you , ya know...I usually 90% of the time hook them through the tail, and i always have..But if something elso has been working for you, then i would stick to that...No need to fix it if it isnt broke

7. Supafox

Supafox New Member

State:
    Hannibal MO
    If your fishing a lake take a pole,bobber a small hook and a worm catch a bluegill.Hook him behind the dorsel fin and your ready to rock.

8. HRCats

HRCats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Chris, Run over to the park there in chili and catch a few gills. That pond is full of em.

9. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Chris I was going to say the same as HRCats BlueGill and Bream are the same thing

10. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    If you REALLY want to go for serious size, try to catch some bullheads, about 6-8" long. Or find some black perch. Bullheads though have proven to me to be better for SIZE, for some reason, and they are generally easy to catch with some chicken livers or worms. Hook them the same way, either through the base of the tail, or through the lips.

11. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    We Can't Use Goldfish Here In FL, As They Are Illegal. The Gills Work Good For Me. They Had Some Black Minnows @ The Bait Store Here For Awhile That Were Dynamite But The Fish & Game(DNR), Made Them Quit Selling Them, Said it Was Illegal Also, DANG:angry:

12. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i only tried goldfish once and i wasnt really bein serious...do those things catch fish as good as everybody says they do??

13. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    IMO they do,I caught my personal best 33.5lb flattie on a live 3-4" goldfish.Them and bluegills are my 2 best producing baits.

14. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i'll prolly have to stop in the bait shop for once and get some.... aint it weird how little time you spend in a bait shop anymore??...i mean i got a cast net and i used to have a worm bed....i like to stop in every now and then just to see how things are though....a dozen or more goldfish will probally be with me on my next trip to the dam. thanks

15. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I'm like you,I hardly ever go to the bait shop anymore either.If I do,Its for goldfish or Israeli carp.I have a pond close that I get all my bluegill,warmouth and ba$$ for bait.The castnet gets all my shad and my yard is full of crawlers.

16. breadboy

breadboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    A bait that I like is called a black salty, a carp/goldfish hybrid bait, very tough. Found in some bait shops, not too many.

17. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    My names jason to answer your question any time you go flathead fishing always use live bait. I use hand sized bluegill, you want to use the size bait for the size fish you are fishing for. I use a large 6/0, 7/0 circle hook and hook my bait through the tail. I cant stress live bait enough for Flatheads.

18. Jackfish

Jackfish New Member

State:
    Ohio
    goldfish can work well, I don't really care much what type of bait I have as long as its lively and its fairly big

19. jaycat

jaycat New Member

State:
    Waterloo ,NY
    i wish i could use Goldfish in ny, thay dont allow it.

20. chris45601

chris45601 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Gold fish are expensive in some sorts but kind of confusing they seel them in sizes and the medium are about 4-5 inches long thats all i ever use and about 12.72 for a dozen