Goldfish

Discussion in 'LOCAL KENTUCKY TALK' started by Jeremy Sheffey, Aug 5, 2009.

Are gold fish legal and do you fish with them?

1. Yes they are legal

2. NO they are NOT legal

3. Yes i fish with them

4. No i dont fish with them

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    i have emailed the Ky DNR about the question, however i am curious as to if any of you know the answer. Is it legal in KY to use goldfish for bait in public waters? I used to fish with them all the time when i fished the paylake circuit. however sense my mind up to quit fishing them and to public waters more i am unsure if i can use them for bait. The second thing i am interested in is do any of you use them?

2. 1442ncs

1442ncs New Member

State:
    Muhlenburg, KY
    Flatheads in the Green River love them. Thats the only place i have ever used them. Cause there is only one place around here to even get them.

3. MiseryMike

MiseryMike New Member

State:
    Blue Springs
    All ive got on em so far was a gar, wut i have left are my gf's pets now :roll_eyes:

4. johndeere nut

johndeere nut New Member

State:
    oldham county,kentucky
    i thought i heard they were illeagal in ky but not sure i know when my friend would fish with them he would hide them because he had heard the same but im not positive

5. Jeremy Sheffey

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    sure it was your "Friend" you say...haha..:wink: my "friend" uses them all the time but he was curious as if they were legal or not...haha

6. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    thats a good question cause to my understanding they were legal.So im interested in finding out the answer to that one myself.Ive used them before i hope i didnt do it illegally:confused2:

7. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have never used goldfish? Anyone know if they are legal to use in TN? And where do you buy them? Pet store?

8. MiseryMike

MiseryMike New Member

State:
    Blue Springs
    If they are legal to use in your state, i would imiagin any place that sells live bait crickets,minnows worms ect would have them. i pay about 5 bucks for a dozen large gold fish from a local bait store some are the size of my hand. Best way to find out is go to a local baitstore them boys know everything lol.

9. river1214rat

river1214rat New Member

State:
    West Point, KY
    I have used goldfish and did not have any luck. What I had left over are now in my goldfish pond. I have better luck with Shad. Pepper's on Dixie Hwy sells them.

10. bigkane

bigkane New Member

State:
    Ashland, K
    They're definitely for sale at local bait stores. I'm pretty sure they're cheaper at bait stores as well. For the bigger gold fish at Wally World I'm thinking they're like $6.00 a piece.

11. mankind

mankind New Member

State:
    ashland ky
    i believe that if bait stores sale them they must be legal.i have used them now and then.:wink:

12. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I reckon their legal, never had a GW say anything to me about using them. I use them sometimes, had pretty good luck with them. Every bait shop around sells them. I like the Israeli carp better though, their tough little critters!

13. JRA

JRA New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    They are legal. I emailed the KDFW and was told that they are legal to use.

14. Jeremy Sheffey

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    thank you, i emailed them a little while ago and they never got back to me...

As for all the bait shops selling them, that never means its legal.... all the paylakes around here let you use them and thats where they make their money at for the pay pond fisherman... hell the gun shop and walmart sell electronic deer/turkey calls but it is illegal to use them deer/turkey hunting....

15. CBurns87

CBurns87 New Member

State:
    Topeka Kansas
    in kansas they are legal and the flathead love them (along with the gar, but then again they eat anything), but my husband use goldfish and perch everytime we go fishing!

16. festus

festus New Member

SgtRedneck, yes they're legal in Tennessee. I don't use them anymore, but during my younger days they were commonly sold in bait shops under the name "Baltimore Minnows." Just about anything will hit them that will hit a minnow. After the tuffie and shiner minnows became popular during the 1970's, the Baltimore slowly became scarce.

IMHO shad, tuffies, shiners, and chubs are more effective than goldfish. Goldfish, or as I still call them, Baltimores have one great advantage-they're much more hardy. They can take the heat better than the other minnows, and the water can go unchanged for days.

I saw goldfish about 2-1/2" to 3" on sale at a pet shop for about 15 cents apiece. If I were to go fishing on a very hot day, I might consider using them. We used to fish for crappie with them; they were about 4 dozen for a dollar when I was a teenager.

17. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    There are still times when nothing else will outproduce them and other times they are better off in a bowl. When all else fails it may be well worth giving them a try. Stay safe and good fishing!!!:wink:

18. RickfromLafayette

RickfromLafayette New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Down here in south Louisiana they also sell for $5 for a dozen.

19. brand270

brand270 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Bill's Bait & Tackle sell them here in E-town.

20. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    One awesome bait that's for sure!