goldfish

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by goneflatheadin, Jul 6, 2009.

1. goneflatheadin

goneflatheadin New Member

State:
    cullman al
    My personal favorite for flats is bluegill, but I sometimes use goldfish and have caught some big flats on them, but the bite is slower on goldfish. Anyone else use goldfish?

2. CatHunter24

CatHunter24 New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio
    I have had success on gills, golds, and shad. Live shad and gills seem to get the most action, but gills and goldfish can take a beating and stay alive, and are easier to hook through the back that shad IMO.

3. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    I don't think gold fish are odd bait. They have worked for me in the past and I will use them again.

4. centexcop

centexcop Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    I have good success with goldfish. They've been used on cats for years....

5. Ky_Katter91

Ky_Katter91 New Member

State:
    Northern Ky
    That's about all I really use anymore. It's a lot easier for me to find the time in my work schedule to go to my fav bait and tackle shop to buy a couple big and I mean BIG 8-11" goldies for a buck a piece rather than go to the creek and hope i can get some gills or yellow bellies. just my 2 cents..

6. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    I have never had any luck with them.

7. CatHunterSteve

CatHunterSteve New Member

State:
    Snowville, Va
    I've caught blues and channels with them, I think they are eaiser to keep alive and the cats like them. Noone in our area sell them for bait so I use them in the spring when we go to the Staunton river above Kerr to use them.

8. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    They good bait if ya can get nuthen eles. I like em to and the gold color prolly stands out well. I am just to much of a cheapskate to buy em for 8 bucks a dozen here. Gills, greens, bullheads, and creek chubs are free to hook and line. I also net small carp and buff fish up to 1lb to use. I dont think I have bought live bait besides worms for catchen bait in 3 years.

9. wvcatfisherman

wvcatfisherman Active Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I have had luck on them. I haven't had luck on them alive though. If I stomp the crap out of them I get tons of bites. I have caught several big flats on them when I stomp them.

10. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

They,re illegal here in PA.,along with koi and carp.Beats me why!:sad2:

11. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I've had pretty good luck with them in the river and usually carry a few along. They are cheaper at Wally World than in the bait shops now, but kinda hard to find the really big ones. Gills and creek chubs are still my preference though. Stay safe and good fishing!!!

12. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    $8 a dozen? that'd be a good deal here. Ours are 10 or 11 depending on what store you go to. Alot of guys here use nothing but goldfish and do quite well. My preference is Blugill/greensunfish then talapia then goldfish. I use the goldfish for backup incase my bait trip fails. Somebody mentioned that they had all that free bait they could catch, well around here the gills have off days. I mean OFF. You can't catchem and if you get past sundown you wont have any bait at all. Goldfish are a good backup.

13. goneflatheadin

goneflatheadin New Member

State:
    cullman al
    Thanks guys, I will probally always use them, along with bluegill , Like alote of you said they stay alive very well, and If you got some left thay will stay alive until your next trip.

14. coyotechromez

coyotechromez New Member

State:
    KS
    They are an invasive species, and breed hybrid style carp. They are nothing but carp anyways.

15. spawnallica

spawnallica New Member

State:
    Texas
    I've had a ton of luck with goldfish, but it's not my first choice.