Goldfish

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by ks-limb-liner, Mar 16, 2009.

1. ks-limb-liner

ks-limb-liner New Member

State:
    Wichita, Kansas
    Does anyone know of a supplier or where i can get goldfish in quantity?
    Every sinse "water gardens" came into there own, it sent the prices of goldfish outta site for bait.

2. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS

3. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    what part of KS you in ??

4. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    Yeah, Darrell, like JJ said where you at? Cause if we know where you are
    we can tell you about local suppliers that deal in bait. Folks that deal with
    bait are different than those that deal in the pet market. Another thing is
    that if you are local to some of the bait dealers and a steady customer
    they can cut you deals for volume. If you are looking to get really serious
    about limblining for the summer you might fit into that catagory of folks
    that need a lot of goldfish over a three month period.

5. ks-limb-liner

ks-limb-liner New Member

State:
    Wichita, Kansas
    I'm in Wichita, Ks. We go through about 1000 goldfish a year, so we've built stock tanks with purification systems, now we just need to fill'm.
    Not to mention, if you have any idea what the ratio is as to how many goldfish per how many gallons of water, that would be helpful. I know
    the aerators will determine a lot of it. Appreciate the help.

6. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

green sunfish and bullheads are free for the takeing:cool2:

7. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Question do you think that goldfish are that much better. I have used them and I have not seen much of a difference in the hook up. I know people that will not use anything else and we can fish side by side and they do not hook any more fish than say with gills. Just wondering.

8. tmramrod91

tmramrod91 New Member

State:
    kansas
    I second the reasoning behind spening big $$ on goldfish over gills. I've caught a lot more and bigger fish with live gills/sunfish than goldfish. See if you can catch some small carp too, its essentially the same thing, just can be tough to catch.

9. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    I use mainly gills, carp and bullheads. I found that bullheads have caught bigger fish in the past. Growing up I used goldfish since we had a pond that was stocked with them but they never seemed to produce more than the gills or bullheads did. Just wondering what other thought.

10. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    I agree Dan.

I have used goldfish and done well on them.But side by side gills/perch/bullheads will do just as good.

Only used goldfish when I couldnt catch my own.

I would not want to buy 1000 goldfish per yr.Thats about $500 in bait.

11. ks-limb-liner

ks-limb-liner New Member

State:
    Wichita, Kansas
    I agree gentlemen, there are lots of other good baits, but when we're talking "raising" them, theres more information on "how to" on goldfish then any other, and I'm mostly interested in "comet goldfish" because they grow fast and up to 12" plus, and have a 10 year life span, and for the most part are hartier then others.

12. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Darrell,Have you checked into the Salty's.i hear they are one hardy dude and you can buy them by the truck load if you want.
    "But" I think the are costly..

I know one guy that uses them and swears by them..

13. ks-limb-liner

ks-limb-liner New Member

State:
    Wichita, Kansas
    No can't say as I have, didn't know about them, I''l do some research and see what they say.
    do you know who carries them?

14. Backlashed

Backlashed New Member

State:
    Derby, Kansas
    My brother had a two or three hundred gallon garden pond, and started in the spring with a couple dozen goldfish. By that same fall he had them by the hundreds, and didn't have to do anything except keep it full of water.
    I'd think with a big stock tank, and a fresh water supply, just let mother nature take its course.
    I put some in my pond, but the pesky bass kept eatn them.:roll_eyes:

15. ksgoosekillr

ksgoosekillr Member

State:
    Kansas
    I have tried salties a few times when other bait was hard to come by, but chapman creek is sure proud of them... but i never caught a damned thing on them, tried live, tried cut, even strung a few on a trotline... all during summer months at milford by wakefield... if your wanting goldfish i know of 2 public places that have them by the thousands, we throw net them on a regular basis. but you better have one heck of a filtration system, i have a 110 stock tank, that has a custom housing that is insulated, running off 2- 1200 gal pumps, both run venturi lines one for filtration one for aeration... with built in crawfish compartment... it keeps shad alive for 3+ months (longest ive ever had them before using)... the water is always clear with perch/shad soon as i add carp or goldfish i can never clear the water and most of the bait usually dies within a few weeks... im particular when it comes to bait... use dechlor and salt, and check PH levels... by the way for those wondering how i keep shad alive that long... they eat mysis shrimp (seahorse food)... buy it at pet stores.... if you want info on the goldfish pm me.... chapman creek bait in chapman sells salties there at or over a dollar a bait

16. ks-limb-liner

ks-limb-liner New Member

State:
    Wichita, Kansas
    Welcome Matt to the BOC