Goldfish - Why cant I catch any catfish on them?

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by kccatman, Jun 20, 2006.

1. kccatman

kccatman New Member

State:
    kansas
    why cant i catch anything on goldfish ? everyone else does

2. ArmyGrunt

ArmyGrunt New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Only thing I've caught on goldfish is Gar. Only thing I've caught on anything lately is Gar. God how I hate catching Gar....LOL

3. OsageCountyCatman

OsageCountyCatman New Member

State:
    Osage City, KS
    I caught a big nasty watersnake on a limbline this weekend using a goldfish, does that count?:embarassed:

Gar were terrible this weekend on the Dragoon, none caught but I watched them hit a bait and dive down in the water, ripping my goldfish off and sending the empty line into the branches.:ah:

4. Crackr

Crackr New Member

State:
    Indiana
    My piss-poor avatar is me holding a 3# channel caught on a live goldfish. Outside of that, I have caught nothing but a headcold on goldfish. That doesn't mean to rule out goldfish, live or cut, as bait. Keep your options open.

5. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I am not a big fan of the goldfish for bait. My theory is the best bait to use in any given water is whatever is already there. For example, if the lake is full of Gizzard Shad, then use Gizzard Shad. If the river is full of Carp or suckers, then use carp or suckers. Not many waters are full of goldfish, and fish will generally eat whatever they are most familiar with eating.

I have had some luck on "saltys" though. They are a cross between a carp and a goldfish, and look more natural than a goldfish.

Just my $.02!

6. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I caught my Personal Best on a goldfish...33.5 flattie.I guess right place at the right time.

7. da-cajun-angla

da-cajun-angla New Member

State:
    louisiana
    Ur Lucky As Hell U Can Use Em'!!!! Its Illegal Fo Us To Use Em In South La...ive Used Em B4 (illegally) And Wore Bass N Big Perch Out!!! Wish I Could Use Em' All The Time.
    Shaun

8. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Gosh Ive use them and cought a couple of nice channel, but I do alot better with live bluegill and shad. bigcatman0816.

9. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Hey brother, I did the best I could to lighten it up for ya so we could see ya a little more clearly. Feel free to use it.

I have had some luck with Goldfish, but it is hit and miss. More luck in the river with em then the lake.

10. OsageCountyCatman

State:
    Osage City, KS
    Probably half of my limblines I bait with goldfish, depending on how many perch i can catch/buy. So far buying perch this year's been a bust, price is high the fish are tiny.

I catch as many fish on goldfish as i do perch or crawdads, but they definitely keep better than perch. I lose 50 percent of my perch overnight even if i change the water and put the aerator on. With goldfish I can leave it and have all my bait alive in the morning.

11. Rajun_Cajun

Rajun_Cajun New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    i always catch channels out at hillsdale on goldfish, i have caught gar at clinton spillway, and i have also caught some nice bass off of goldfish.

12. janton311

janton311 New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Personanlly, I would rather use shad or perch... good luck

13. suddawg

suddawg New Member

I've never had much luck with goldfish, but that's not too say they don't ever work. My dad caught his personal best on a goldfish. 69.5 lb. Flathead out of the Missouri River on a large goldfish. I usually use cut shad, live gills/green sunfish, and chubs.

SudDawg

14. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    gold fish, use to be a hot Item here, not to many use them any more, or as much as they use two, I have never tried them, cut, seems they and small carp, work better certian times of year,
    best bait here, I use is shad, cut shad, green perch, bullheads, small drum and buffalo about in that order, never had much luck on crawdads, and big minnows, caught more cats, fishing for crappie on minnows, than when using them for bait, used bigger forcat and small for crappie, and
    hardcore boys, here use live shad and cut shad , mainly, some perch , this is on rod and reel, (On flatheads, if they wont bite, a 3 to 4 inch green perch their not going to bite. Osage river rat qoute. )
    Jim

15. Calvin

Calvin New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I've had my best luck with goldfish when the water temerature is a little cool. When it warms up after the spawn I haven't had the success I do either early or later on in the year. It may just be a coincidence but thats been my experience with them.

16. OsageCountyCatman

State:
    Osage City, KS
    Funny you mention that. LAst time I ran limblines I kept them baited up all day and I ended up with 3 nice largemouth on goldfish.

When I ran my trotline the weekend before the 4th, I baited up Friday night half goldfish, half perch and had 9 cats on next morning. Goldies and perch worked equally well. That night i baited up with goldfish only and got skunked.

Go figure.

17. DorianGre

DorianGre New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Are these normal children's goldfish, or just some special ones from a bait store?

18. OsageCountyCatman

State:
    Osage City, KS
    The ones I use came from the bait shop, but they're essentially the cheaper feeder goldfish you'd see at Petsmart but much larger. I try to get medium (3-4") for trotlines and as large as I can find for limblines. My last trotline had a mix of medium and large Goldfish.

Other than where I bought them they're the same fish you'd get in a pet shop.