Goldfish - Questions about using live bait for catfishing

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Lingcod, Apr 8, 2009.

1. Lingcod

Lingcod New Member

State:
    California
    Great website.,I joined last week and found some great info,thanks for all your insites..I have a chance to go to colo rvr next week and was just wondering about using livebait {title}any advice....hook, method,how,...thanks for any imput

2. Lingcod

Lingcod New Member

State:
    California
    no I'm not..,and haven't yet..,thank for the link

3. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    Lingcod ,welcome to the BOC ,this is a great site,hope someone can help with your question

4. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Welcome to the BOC from Alton, IL. Good luck.

5. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Patrick.

6. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    you could get a hundred different answers here but it really depends on what your after.You can never go wrong with live or cut bait and your bigger cats thats what they go for,for medium to eater size you could use just about anything,shrimp ,liver,dip bait,punch bait,night crawlers ect ect.

7. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
  8. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    If you want to get some action, I suggest chicken livers or mackeral.

If you want to target flathead alot of us start out by buying goldfish, just in case. Then we take mealworms and nightcrawlers out and catch as many bluegill and talapia as possible.

Keep them alive. Hook them behind the dorsal fin through the back. Look for deeper spots in the river and tule's.

What area will you be fishing? There are quite a few guys that fish that river on this site.

9. westvirginiacatfish

westvirginiacatfish New Member

State:
    Ronceverte
    Welcome to the B.O.C. Patrick :cool2::smile2::smile2:

10. GrandpaGoneFishing

GrandpaGoneFishing New Member

State:
    Linn Valley, Ks
  11. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Don't know where you're gonna fish in the CO, but, If you're in Flathead water,,, live bait will do well for you,, either Gold fish or caught BG's or tilapia, or basically whatever you end up catching,, The flatties will eat anything they think they can swallow.. Probably even other Flatcats.
    I've also caught channels, and LM bass on the live baits,, even had a 4# bass that ate my live bait and got hooked, eaten by a Large Flat, I think, as the bass ate my bluegill then something came along and ate him,, yea,, It's fun.....:smile2:
    Always bring nightcrawlers, liver, and other baits,, there's a lot of stuff swimmin and sometimes, it All works!!
    Also, bring a lot of bug repellant!!! water, everything, as,, if you get into some pretty good fishing, there's not many ,,, conveniences,,, around... It gets primitive real quick...
    Send a PM if you have any other questions or concerns,,, be glad to try and help..

12. katplayer187

katplayer187 New Member

State:
    WEST END-PITTSBURGH,PA
    id hook the in the back is my guess.. but make sure you can use them in your state here in pa your not aloud to use them..

13. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Patrick, Welcome to the BOC!

14. Lingcod

Lingcod New Member

State:
    California
    THANKS..l'll keep checking past threads...,keep fishing

15. Lingcod

Lingcod New Member

State:
    California
    THANKS..l'll keep checking past threads...,keep fishing

16. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Rigg your livebait up carolina style. Also I notice that the flats will eat best whats around their surrounding area. If Tilapia is abundant in the canals per say, they will eat that more. If the gills are abundant, than that is what they want. I find the goldfish works best early season and tends to not work as well when the Tilapia and bluegill make their presence.

Here is a link to rigging strategies for live bait.

http://www.in-fisherman.com/magazine/exclusives/if0504_RigNatBaits/

17. andrew76

andrew76 New Member

State:
    southwest ohio
    Welcome to the BOC patrick.