Goldfish Legal or not as bait in North Carolina?

Discussion in 'LOCAL NORTH CAROLINA TALK' started by Ghoulscout 13, Jun 22, 2006.

1. Ghoulscout 13

Ghoulscout 13 New Member

State:
    North carolina
    anyone know im asking cuz i couldnt find any info in the NC regulations and my father in law has been fined before for using em but i think that was in SC, so if you know if i can use em or not please tell me, thanks

2. greggofish

greggofish New Member

State:
    Holly Springs, NC
    As legal as minnows in this state.

However, minnows almost always work better and are cheaper.

If they are designated as Flathead bait....use bream instead....livelier and easy to catch.

Lately I have been using live shad (have to get the right tank for that though) and they outproduce everything else hands down...period.

Good luck with whatever you throw........

3. Ghoulscout 13

Ghoulscout 13 New Member

State:
    North carolina
    thanks a lot just wanted to know

4. Cattledogz

Cattledogz New Member

State:
    NC
    I honeslty can't say if its legal on all NC waters or not. I know the bait shops sell them around the Yadkin Lakes chain and all around the Winston-Salem area so they are legal in those areas.

5. Kittyhunter

Kittyhunter New Member

State:
    Princeton, NC
    Perfectly legal, I emailed NC Wildlife last year about goldfish and bream. It is, however, ILLEGAL to release them into public waters (goldfish), so don't pour out the leftovers when you are done. Bream have to have been caught on a hook and line, not with a cast net or trap. I heard that this year they changed the bream law to where they had to be caught where you are fishing, not brought in, but I'm not sure about that one yet.

6. mack in n.c.

mack in n.c. Member

State:
    cary nc
    definatly legal......bream are better but if you cantget them then goldfish are good......shad do wk better but there is only 1 fish that is easier to keep alive than a goldfish......white perch........i have kept white perch and goldfish alive all day in a bucket..(with a little aerator) ....cant do that with
    bream or definatly shad......shad will die if yell too loud.....::cool2:
    when i first fished santee years ago the guide used nothing but white perch.......hooked in the back and lowered to the bottom and then cranked up a couple of ft.......no hits and you would crank them up to the top and he would slowly motor the boat aroud looking for fish on the graph.....the perch got dragged around.......some lived for hours like this.........definatly a lesson on the toughness of white perch.......

7. mangus

mangus New Member

State:
    n.c.
    done well on gold fish and bream. try some good ol knotty heads out of the creek.

8. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

A quick fix for this is a five gallon bucket with a lid and bubbler. I painted the outside of mine dark blue but that has long since chipped off. Wally world sells a lid and bubbler combo all you need is a 5 gallon bucket. I change the water out (about half) about every 2-3 hours and add a little ice to help keep the water cool and the bait lively. I do have a few die off but not many the ice and changing water is a must though

9. carolinarebel78

carolinarebel78 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    gold fish are legal but bream still work best 4 me

10. shawn_donna

shawn_donna New Member

State:
    rutherfordton nc
    im form rutherfordton nc

11. mangus

mangus New Member

State:
    n.c.
    couldnt get no gills so i had to fish with goldfish at the dan river and the flatheads were killing them.