Goldfish in Illinois

Discussion in 'LOCAL ILLINOIS TALK' started by CantFish86, May 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CantFish86

CantFish86 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Hello everyone I was just woundering if its legal. I was speaking to a fellow member and he said where he lives its illegal cause its like a pet there so was woundering if someone could point me in the right spot:eek:oooh:.

2. catmankev

catmankev New Member

State:
    Valmeyer, Illinois
    I haven't seen anything in the regs. about goldfish. I do know I've been in bait shops that sell goldfish. You might try sending an e-mail to the DNR and ask them. They're pretty good about answering any questions I've ever asked.

3. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    I've been buying and using goldfish in Ill. for the last 10 years. As many time I've been checked by wardens, if it wasn't legal, I would have found out the hard way. :big_smile:

4. CantFish86

CantFish86 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Ya I seen baitshops selling them and seen people using before it just puzzled me after a member said where he lives it is. And then I thought of why it is there and was thinking wounder if same here thanks for info. =)

5. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    IMHO..i dont think its legal but i dont think they know about it. its illegal to use any baitfish not native to the water. i dont think the conservation cops are lookin for it. i dont think they care either.

6. CantFish86

CantFish86 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Well im gonna just stick with the next best thing good ole gills =) thanks for info.

7. TeamWhiskers

TeamWhiskers New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Something that you all might want to be aware of that is going on here in MO and Im sure will be effecting IL before long. Towards the end of the year last year, the goldfish industry gave us some gold looking carp that were come up with to substitute for the normal as we know it goldfish. This is why I have my own decorative ponds here in my yard so that I can stock up while I can get the good goldfish to use.

8. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Careful, gill's CAN be illegal here in MO. Not sure about Illinois.

9. bigredsbbq

bigredsbbq New Member

State:
    Illinois
    here in illinois it is legal to fish with bluegill if there caught on a rod and reel not in the shad net thats what the law claims

10. bigredsbbq

bigredsbbq New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I sell goldfish here at the baitshop but i aint totaly sure of the legality of useing them for bait I wish someone would find out and tell me a for sure answer if it's illegal to fish with them i'm sure all the people that buy them are useing em for there ponds:wink::wink::wink:

11. CantFish86

CantFish86 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    thanks for all the info im gonna stick with blue gill cause law says if i can catch of rod and reel i can use as bait but if theres a size limit posted i cant use for cut bait only live witch i planed on.

12. DeerHunter01

DeerHunter01 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Thread is closed on request from member who started thread.

Thanks
    BOC Staff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.