Goldfish, How do you hook them?

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARKANSAS TALK' started by Jimmy Don, Jun 7, 2006.

1. Jimmy Don

Jimmy Don Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I was thinking of getting some goldfish this weekend in my seach for my first flathead on a rod. I'm not always able to catch bream for bait. My question is how is the best way to hook them.

2. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I always hooked them by running the hook up through the bottom of the mouth and up through a nostril.

They live for a good long while (5+ hours) and won't pull out quite as readily as hooking in the meat of the back.

3. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    I would agree with Curtis and would only add that if you want to fish them under a float and don't need to cast them as in letting the current take the rig down to a snag or logjam try hooking them in the back just behind the dorsal fin. they seem to swim a bit better that way...W

4. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    I ALWAYS hook all my live bait for catfishin' through the tail, just behind the anal fin. Haven't had one come loose yet. And they'll keep on struggling for a long time.

-Red

5. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I hook them in the back under the dorsal fin.

6. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    I hook ALL my live bait though the meat of the tail, never had any problems, except with shad, i hook them through the nostrils

7. BullDaddy

BullDaddy New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La.
    I find that the hardest part of hooking Goldfish is getting those Goldfish flakes to stay on the hook. Once you master doing that, then just set the hook on the Goldfish just like any other type of fish, Don't yank too hard cause you might knock over the fish tank.:byebye:

8. bluecatmaster

bluecatmaster New Member

State:
    oh
    you can hook gold fish through the back or the tail or the eyes but for flat head the best bait that i use are isralie carp, blue gill , shad, sucker chub , creek chub ,

9. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    I hook em exactly like Jack. This is the best way for me.

10. borntocatfish

borntocatfish New Member

State:
    NW ohio
    yup thought the nostrils or the back
    Ive heard about the tail but never tried it.