goldfish good bait or not?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by melstangman1967, Mar 27, 2008.

1. melstangman1967

melstangman1967 New Member

State:
    missouri
    do you all use goldfish for bait how u put them on and do u use minnows also?

2. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    yes when i cant catch baite i buy gold fish and as for minnows i do the same if i cant catch them i buy them but that is rare
    if i buy them cant afford the gas

3. janzaldo

janzaldo New Member

State:
    South Gate, Cal
    Gold fish are excellent bait for flatheads.

Jaime

4. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    I have had good luck with them but like Gus said its only a last resort. Too expensive to use everytime for me. Plus, I like to catch my own bait; it makes me feel resourceful.:wink:

5. Junior42

Junior42 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, KY
    I heard they where good for P-lakes but I never heard of anyone catching anything on them in a river.

6. Rockin' Blues

Rockin' Blues New Member

State:
    st.louis mo.
    I agree with everyone that they are great bait but way too expensive.I hook em behind the top fin so they can swim around without killing em.

7. Wolfdog

Wolfdog New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Good bait , but as a last resort. hook them in the top lip or dorsal fin.

8. mariofish

mariofish New Member

State:
    wv
    try to hook them in the eye:cool2:

9. Jerry60k

Jerry60k Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    Nice fish Mariofish :wink:

10. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I use Gold fish, sometimes you catch some on it and sometimes you dont its just according what the fish are wanting

11. crab

crab New Member

State:
    Ironton,Ohio
    I use gold fish alot,when they have them! I like the asian carp also. I hook mine in the tail in lakes and in the mouth or dorsel in the river. That way moving water dont drown them.:wink:

12. fishing bum

fishing bum New Member

State:
    Victoria Texas
    have had real good luck with themon lakes or rivers. I hook them through the top of the eye socket.

13. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    i have used goldfish before and have caught good fish on them. i use them in a little pond out here and they work well. we went out with goldfish, chicken livers and garlic livers, and the only thinng we caught them on were the goldfish.

14. kingneck76

kingneck76 New Member

State:
    Jeff City MO
    I have used goldfish, but can hardly afford gas after buying them. I hook em through the eye socket in current, and back in slack water. I also shave off a few scales. I heard it helps put more scent in the water. Cant say it helped or hurt as I have always done it. The nice thing about em is if you get a $10 bubler from wally world you can keep em alive for a month or more.

15. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I love using gold fish for cat bait but there expensive

16. SunburntAgain

SunburntAgain New Member

State:
    Tulsa, OK
    I know some guys have incredible luck with goldfish for flatheads and catch some really big flats on them. I've tried them, but in my river long nose gar are ridiculously thick, and they love goldfish. Unfortunately most of the good cat holes are also good gar holes. On 2 occasions I used them and gar were hitting them almost as soon as they hit the water on every cast.

17. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Gold fish aren't legal in New Mexico. But I use them occasionally in OK. and Minnows as well in both states. I like to hook through both lips or just below the dorsal fin.,depending on the current.

18. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I have caught some good flatheads on goldfish. Personally i prefer the black one's and usually hook them under the dorsal, depending on current i may hook thru mouth and out one eye. They too costly for a poor boy like me though.Allow me to rephrase that, a tite wad like me:smile2:

19. catfishjohn54

catfishjohn54 New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Too expensive. But if you use them I hope where you are fishing doesn't have any alligator gar, such as some lakes in Kansas, because the gar will strip you of your bait. Ditto on largemouth bass!! I prefer to throw out small bluegills. Shh! lol.

20. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I prefer to use big Bluegils for Flatheads. But one time I did buy several Goldfish and caught several nice Flatheads on them. The bigger ones seemed to work best. We caught them in a swift part of the river channel that makes up Lake Barkley.:eek:oooh: