Goldfish good. $18 a lb, bad.

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by USE TO BE, Aug 18, 2008.

1. USE TO BE

USE TO BE New Member

State:
    Ohio
    My last few outings have been successful because of golfish. Problem is, they are $18 a pound at the bait store. I like them because they last all night and the hook can be removed for use the following weekend, plus the turtles and channels don't seem to bother them near as much as bluegill. Does anyone know what species of goldfish are pictured below? I'd like to try putting some in a 60' x 60' pond to see if they grow and reproduce. I'm wondering if a pet store would be a cheaper source? Then of course, how will I get them out of the pond? Some sort of trap?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Wvawitrado

Wvawitrado New Member

State:
    California, Fresno
    Hey bro not sure on the kind of goldies but I know that I got 60 goldies between 3 and 5 inches for a dollar a piece on craigslist.com so check your area or post some want ads you would be surprised

3. tufffish

tufffish New Member

State:
    Texas
    about how many are in a pound. a few good fish may be worth $18. if you figure $2 a pound for talapia, a catfish is worth a whole lot more.

4. USE TO BE

USE TO BE New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I bought 3 of the size pictured and they totaled about .5 lb.

5. OttoDita

OttoDita New Member

State:
    Ontario, canada
    Goldfish don't grow all too quickly. But one other thing is they need a lot of space per fish, something like 1g of water per inch of fish. Or extremely good filtration. They produce a lot of amonia (sp?) and basically it kills them. You could definitely build and keep them in a pond. Just be sure to know everything you need before. I'd hate to see all your fish die after so much work put into them.

That looks like just a normal goldfish to me. But I'm no goldfish expert. Have two as pets, but, they're bug eyed. Maybe call some pet stores, I know the pet store close to me has some large goldfish, and they're about $7-11ea. Now that I think about it, maybe $18/lb is normal price for large fish.

Hope this helps some:wink:
    Shane

6. tufffish

tufffish New Member

State:
    Texas
    at 6 per pound that is kind of high. i thought maybe they would go 20 or more per pound. at that price i would try to raise some to see.

7. muddyjet

muddyjet New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Last few summers I had paid $5 a dozen, they all were 4 to 6 inches long.
    This year, the bait shops I go to have been unable to get any of size.
    Have never paid per pound on any of the live bait fish, always by the each or per the dozen.
    As far as the pond, my bother had an outdoor pond with goldfish and Koi in it. It had the irragation pump and some 'good' plants that filtered the water but nothing else. They lived for several years. May be a trial and error thing. But a good idea.
    Catching them.....Cast net or a large minnow net. They will come right up if you feed them at a regular time and place.
    Maybe it'll help.:confused2:

8. catfishjon

catfishjon New Member

State:
    texas
    Goldfish haven't gone that high in my location of Texas yet. I have seen perch up to 15 dollars a lb. I know a person that had goldfish and goldfish only in a small tank. They reproduced quickly and got so many in it that they never got any size to them. I don't know if enough money could be saved by raising your own. It would be neat if it would work out as you would have bait any time of the day or night. Catfishjon

9. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    Those Goldfish in the pic appear to be "common goldfish" another species is "Koi" they have tiny barbels like a catfish and really long tail fins.

I stopped using Goldfish for 2 reasons.

1. I never caught anything on them. I think because they are not a natural bait in the waters I fish.

2. The baitstore that carries them in my area is out of them moreso than in-stock. This sort of made me out of nessesity have to use Bluegills. The only bait I would use other than the gills now are Bullheads, Skipjack or Shad in my area.

Pet stores sell aquarium feeders for really cheap. They are small but will get bigger if you feed them. I used to know a guy who raised "Rice Field Sliks" in his fron yard. He dug a trench 1ft. deep and about as wide as a side walk and probally 25 ft. long. He kept it filled with water and fed them. He provided all the trotliners and juggers in the area with bait. For a fee of course :wink:

10. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    when i moved from ohio in '05 they were $9 a pound......they've doubled in 3 years!?

11. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    David,

I had the same idea as you. Before the pond edges could be fully rounded, its full, and full to the rim. We hit a natural spring, but the solid rain for the last month didnt hurt.

Time for some gills and gold fish?

Attached Files:

12. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    yep,i would build a pond,if i had the space.but i think i would still try to use more natural baits myself.

13. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I was unaware that they would live so long, thanks for the update

14. USE TO BE

USE TO BE New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Now you are cookin Commando. I have plenty of land, and a backhoe, but not all of the land is tractor accessible. My dad has a small dozer and we are going to try to make a small pond this fall. We haven't had any rain here for about 7 weeks now and it is dry!

15. swampeast

swampeast New Member

State:
    swampeast, MO
    Dang I can buy em for 3.50 a dozen

16. coondog east fork

coondog east fork New Member

State:
    IND
    I just got a lb of goldfish 9$

17. swampeast

swampeast New Member

State:
    swampeast, MO
    OOOpps I meant 3.50 a pound

18. don3778

don3778 New Member

State:
    Walkervill
    If your having trouble finding goldfish in your area you might try Blands Fishery in Taylor Ar. They ship all over the world. We have bought bait goldfish from them since I was a kid back in the 60's, lol. Good people too.

don3778

19. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
  20. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    I get the lil' ones for $3 a pound. Bigguns go for $6 a pound. Price seems kinda high.