Goldfish for catfish bait

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by FLOAT TRIP WILLIE, Oct 4, 2007.

1. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

FLOAT TRIP WILLIE Active Member

State:
    St. Louis
    what about goldfish for bait? how do you all go about hooking them?
    I tried hooking them threw the back dorsil fin but they always die on me.
    what am i doing wrong?

2. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Make sure to go above the backbone and match the hook size to the goldfish. I use them the same way and have good success with them living and catching flatties.

3. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    you can also hook them through the lips if you want,that will keep them alive even longer.

4. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    Some people hook them through the nostril be careful not to put it through their brain, some people hook them in the tail and some people hook them though the bottom of the dorsal or behind, or through the tail just like a bluegill.

5. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    Lip hooking is great. Make sure they are decent size goldfish though.6 to 8 inches or so. :wink:

6. scott1

scott1 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I have no problem hooking them and keeping them alive, I just never have to much luck catching anything on them.

7. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    i got a dozen in the fridge out in the garage sill alive from 2 weeks ago if you wanna come by and pick em up:smile2:. i hook em through the eyes, but not up into the brain or anywhere else. or i do it by where the anal fin is, but hook it to where it will come of when you set the hook, but it will stay on when a cat picks it up. good luck, goldfish make some great bait from what ive experienced.

8. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    IF YOU ARE FISHING IN A RIVER I SUGGEST HOOKING THEM THROUGH THE LIPS OR EYES ( WHERE THERE IS CURRENT) CAUSE IT DROUNDS THEM. IN A NONE CURRENT AREA LIKE A LAKE HOOK THEM IN THE BACK OR TAIL, THEY WILL LIVE LONGER THIS WAY.:0a26:

9. godsglad8tor

godsglad8tor New Member

State:
    Riverside, CA
    for the fisherman who do use goldfish for bait, would you say the goldfish stay alive on the line longer, shorter or about the same compared to a panfish (bluegill)?

10. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Again, its my cautious nature, but make sure your state allows you to use goldfish for bait. Some states consider them to be an invasive species. They rank right up there with zebra mussels and Asian carp.

11. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I think that both goldfish and bream both stay alive on the hook reasonably well, and that it's probably more a matter of size than species that makes the difference. I mean, if you're comparing a 6" bream with a 6" bream, I don't think there's much difference in how long each will live IF hooked exactly the same, with identical hooks. On the other hand, if you're comparing a 3" goldfish to a 6" bream, hooking will probably kill the smaller goldfish faster than it will the larger bream.

12. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I have never used goldfish for bait because I never thought they would stay alive long.

I would think that taking a fish raised pretty much in a sterile environment and dropping him in a river or lake would kill him faster than the hook itself. Wouldn't a fish native to the waters you are fishing live longer than a goldfish if all other things are equal?

13. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    goldfish are great baits. I hook them in the meaty part of the back and they live forever. I have one or 2 in my pond that has a permanant hole through their backs.

14. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Shucks is right atleast he aint on yer toes:smile2:

15. crab

crab New Member

State:
    Ironton,Ohio
    I hook them through the tail.:big_smile:

16. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    i've used goldfish hooked in the back under the dorsel fin. never have to much problems with them dieing just dont hit the back bone and the lips work just as well

17. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    down here in Yuma we are lucky. this is the only place in the state that allows goldfish, and i usually hook mine right behind the anal fin. that way they will swim up and usually swim in circles. the kitties and bass go crazy over them. i have also used them with large hook and no weights hooked theough the lips and free-lined them. the will swim along the bottom, and look like they are feeding. this also drives the kitties crazy.

18. Grits

Grits New Member

State:
    Arknasas
    IMHO goldfish are great for live bait. I used them when I ran trotlines when I was much younger. I have hook them in the lips, tail, below the dorsal and through the guts.

There is a baitfish available now that is called a Black Salty. It is a type of goldfish and incredibly tough. I have used them and caught a lot of channel cats in a reservoir on my farm. I have not tried them in the Arkansas River yet but I plan to this weekend. I feel they will be the ultimate flathead bait.

Check out this website. www.blacksalty.com

I have no affiliation with Anderson Minnow Farm.

Good Luck

Grits