Goldfish for bait.

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by Mo.Hick, May 4, 2008.

1. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    I am curious if gold fish are good bait for bluecat? Never have heard of anyone using them. Just wondering.

Tom

2. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Here in N.E. KY I do real well with them for Flatties on the Ohio River. There's not enough Blues here to target. Sorry I couldn't be more help living so far away.

3. Angler2007

Angler2007 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I've caught several blues on them over the years. Some of my friends that run lines use them and catch both blues and flats.

4. kmcalester

kmcalester Active Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Where are they running there lines at?

5. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I agree with John gold fish around this part works great for blues, I have used goldfish before in the past why i was catfishing and have had some luck catching fish on them. Good luck to you if your decide to try it let us know how it works for you out your way.

6. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    I might try some this coming weekend. I am supposed to take a friend on Mo river saturday. Hope I can find some shad though. They are hard to beat. Always looking for different things to try. Thanks for the input guys.

Tom

7. fishingbuddy4

fishingbuddy4 New Member

State:
    Warner Rob ga
    Where are you putting in ,

8. yankee cat hunter

yankee cat hunter New Member

State:
    wisconsin
    Where do you guys get gold fish big eneugh to fish with?How big off ones do you normally use?

9. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    Havent decided which ramp yet. Either Cooley lake ramp on 210 highway or 291 ramp or the ramp at Choteoue and Front street behind sears.

Tom

10. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    '

I have never caught a single fish on goldfish...I think they are about worthless on the Ohio River, I try to stay with what is natural food for the fish..Shad, skipjacks, bluegills, etc......

11. Angler2007

Angler2007 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I know Burton's in Smithville usually has some big enough for lines. We like the ones in 3 - 7" size. I know some guys that use some really big goldfish in the summer time, like 12". Talked to a guy this morning that runs lines Around Leavenworth and I guess he did pretty good about 2 weeks ago. I know he doesn't keep too many fish, he just likes catching them that way. To each his own, I prefer the battle of catching them on rod and reel.

12. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    I would rather catch them on rod and reel also. Dont set to many lines.

Tom

13. Eudora

Eudora New Member

State:
    Lambertville, MI
    Tom:

I've found that koi goldfish or goldfish in general are real hard to beat when the water gets warm. I mainly target flatheads with them, but have caught a good number of real nice blues too. If they're legal, I would get a sabiki rig or two. These are great to catch skipjacks, which in my mind are the best bait for blue catfish. Threadfin and gizzard shad are good, don't get me wrong, are awesome bait, but my experience has been that if skipjack are available, blues will nail 'em. Good luck and save some for the rest of us.

14. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    I know this makes me look stupid but I dont really know what a skipjack looks like. All we use are threadfin shad. I use small carp when I can find them but mainly threadfin.

Tom

15. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    flatheads love goldfish.....target them at night with limb lines or trotlines :)