Goldfish for bait in rivers

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by JBrooks, Jun 27, 2009.

1. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Do you guys have any luck with this?
    I have some left over from last night and I don't want to waste them.
    Should I cut them up or toss 'em out live? I have 3, and they're all over 5 inches.

2. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Welcome the the BOC. Fish them live and if the should die, cut belly and let the guts hang out. Works around here. Stay safe and good fishing!!!

3. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Good idea. Dunno why I didn't think of that, do it with the Skipjack all the time. Thanks!

4. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    if your goin for flatheads keep them alive, hook them thru the tail above the anal fin not hittin the spine :wink:

5. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

6. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK
    i use goldfish all the time backhome in oklahoma and recently transported some up here to iowa. I love using them for flathead (live of course) just something about em I have always had luck on. even just recently me and some buddies were out fishing and they were throwing live bluegills and cutbait out and didn't get a bite. I said a big bright goldfish out there and 45 mins lata caught a flattie. it was a baby but I caught the only one of the night. I had to credit it to the goldfish.

7. rosscatman

rosscatman Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    James keep the golds alive especially if your fishin the GMR.If you dont have a baittank just throw them in a cooler in a cool place in your house and change a third of the water everyday and feedem a few bread crumbs and they will be fine.Never have had any luck at all with dead golds not even with channels.

8. hock_paul

hock_paul New Member

State:
    illinois
    Welcome to the B.O.C.!
    I caught two flats today on live goldfish, should work for you too. If you fish in any current, hook them through the bottom lip and up through the nostril. Otherwise their gills flare out and they die. Just a suggestion. GOOD LUCK!:wink::0a25:

9. CatHunterSteve

CatHunterSteve New Member

State:
    Snowville, Va
    We use goldfish for Blues and channels in the staunton river in virginia, both seem to hit them really good, the bigger the better.

10. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Goldfish is a good choice and great suggestions was already given so I will not repeat them. One thing to note though is that there are times when the flats seems to prefer golfish over other bait. Also goldfish works well in early flathead season or when there is a lack of sunfish available in area for the flats to feed on.

11. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Never had any luck with cut goldfish, but Ive caught flatheads and channels with live ones. :big_smile: