Goldfish Facts

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by H2O Mellon, Dec 1, 2005.

1. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Some strange facts about goldfish:

if you keep a goldfish in a dark room it eventually turns white

Goldfish memory is "selective" -- they have a general idea of what happened on a previous occasion, they're just not sure what.

Koi's live the longest in the goldfish family

Most fancy goldfish will live from 5 to 10 years old in a tank

Goldfish have teeth in their throats which they use to crush food

Goldfish are omnivorous, meaning they feed on both plants and animals

I was amazaed at the white color change. I am going to try this sometime soon. I will then see which bait cats like better, Gold or White "Goldfish"! :)

2. Rockin' Blues

Rockin' Blues New Member

State:
    st.louis mo.
    i've used goldfish and think there a good bait but too expensive! :eek:

3. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I know a guy who paid over 100 bucks for a bunch of 2 inch goldfish for a trip...Mellon, remember him? :D..I actually prefer goldfish over Bluegills, they are much more hardy, and stay alive forever on the hook.

4. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    the biggest problem for me is getting them big enough, I like to getem around 4" or more and never can getem. been thinking of building me likea 1500 gal pond and get some feeders and letem grow, wounder how long it takes to growem to 4" with 150 fish in the pond. thinken of startem out in a big livestock water tank and then moveem to the pond

5. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    i have had them grow from 2 to 5 inches in one yr. i use a 12 ft by 3 ft deep kids pool that i got on sale at wally world for 49.00. had to purchase a pond pump that pumps 1400 gph but it worked great.they even stay alive with the surface froze over. have let them get 8 to 9 inches before. kept bream, small cats for baits, small bass for bait, about anything that swims has been in there.

6. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    goldfish are good but baby carp are even better. i used to have a pond that was full of 6-12 inch stunted carp but it dried up 3 years ago and killed everything. it filled back up in late '04 and it already has tons of 2 inch carp in it from 8 adults i stock in it that fall. if you can find a small pond thats just been built, like near an appartment complex or something, go catch as many carp as you can and throw 'em in there. in about 2 years you will have a bait paradise. i'm currently scouting for me a new "carp pond" i can seed. i beleive goldfish cannot reproduce?

7. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Goldfish can reproduce.... right? I mean if they couldnt how can there be so mnay. I know Koi can reproduce so I am just assuming goldfish can, but you know what they say when someone assumes.....

8. the_nis

the_nis Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    Goldfish are illegal to use as bait here in Pennsylvania. A guy I went to school with used to always use them and do great. They definitely are an awesome bait.

9. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Do you think goldfish would grow and do well in an old pond? Now it has catfish and some bass in it.
    Thinking about killing everything in it and stocking it with goldfish. Guess I will just do it and see what will happen.
    I also have one pond that has big (6") shinners in it. I used to dump all my crappie or sauger minnows in it. And they are growing big in it. But with all the bass and catfish in it. They don't live long..

Pete

10. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    thats one reason to do it in a "new" pond with no fish in it. the carp will take over and wont let much else reproduce. i've done the same thing with green sunfish.

11. kybunniebuster

kybunniebuster New Member

State:
    winchester kentucky
    here is what i did i purchased a old boat for the motor and trailer the boat didnt have a title so i stripped it down to just the fiberglass hull took landscape timbers and made a frame for it and backfilled it with dirt with the boat in the center put the plug in the back of the boat and filled it with water i put one of the cheap fountian pumps in it i kept goldfish and shiners in it all summer just take a dip net and get out what i needed if i need to drain it i just pull the plug and it drains i also kept some catfish in it and studied them alot the wife added some flowers around it like a little garden and looks real good and ive always have bait the one i used was a 16' bassboat holds around 1000 gallon of water just figured as many old boats there is just sitting around in the weeds you can pick them up real cheap and have a pond and a extra trailer for little or no money depends what you can find ,,,,,,just a thought,,,kenny mcclure

12. QuincyFisher

QuincyFisher New Member

State:
    Quincy,Illinois
    how do you guys hook the goldfish???

13. stickthrower

stickthrower New Member

State:
    Possum Kingdom Lk, TX
    Kenny,
    That's a good idea man, thanks.:)
    Frank

14. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    goldfish can reproduce and they grow quickly. you can hook them in the fleshy part of the back behind the fin or through the lips but they are easy to sling off during casting that way. i like that idea with the boat it sounds cool i bet it is interesting also.

15. kybunniebuster

kybunniebuster New Member

State:
    winchester kentucky
    yea i had been thinking about it for a long time before i ran across the boat the hardest part of the whole thing was getting all the foam out of the hull i just took a chainsaw and trimmed around the floor so i could take the floor out then used a garden hoe to chip out all the foam backed the trailer up to the spot i wanted it and slid it off the trailer and leveled it up back filled with dirt and added water