Goldfish caught today

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by foothills, Jun 5, 2007.

1. foothills

foothills New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    you may want to notify the dnr or local biologist about that to make them aware of a potential problem.

2. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Reminds me of something I saw a couple of years ago. I was crossing Charleston Harbor and saw a string of dead fish - you know a fish and then 50 yards away another one and then another. A total of maybe 5 or six fish each about a pound. I swung the boat over to see what they were, and , you guessed it, they were goldfish! Or Koi or whatever.

The harbor is saltwater, so I wasn't too worried about them spreading or whatever. I kind of wondered if maybe thy died in somebody's pond and they threw them into the harbor to get rid of them.

Flopeye - I'm with you man. There's enough local baitfishes. We sure don't need to be messing with importing stuff like that. A lot of [people release their aquarium fish or their little fishpond fish when they don't want them anymore. They seem to thing killing their "pets" would be too cruel. Taking a chance on contaminating a whole lake doesn't even occur to them, I guess.

3. Indigo Flats

Indigo Flats New Member

State:
    Lancaster,
    After reading these posts I assume it's illegal to fish with goldfish?????

4. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Transporting fish just to transport is bad. Not sure of regulations on fishing with them in your area. But people dumping bait they do not use is always a problem around here also.

5. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    Goldfish, snakeheads, zebra mussels, hydrilla...Why can't we all just get along??:lol:

6. martygreen

martygreen Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    i dont know if there illegal or not to fish with,i know i have heard of folks using em drifting live bait for striper and had sucess doing it,i know of one bait shop for sure near wateree that sells them,i know he gets a pretty good penny for em,i have never used them,when i drift live bait it is either herring,shad or shiners.But true that dont need to be used or dumped in our area waters if disease is possible.

7. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Goldfish are legal or thats what the cheif of fisheries wade Bales said anyways.

8. Indigo Flats

Indigo Flats New Member

State:
    Lancaster,
    I have been pondering Goldfish since yesterday and I don't see any difference in taking bream from my pond and taking them to Santee to fish. I think it's probably more dangerous to take Santee fish and put them in my pond???

9. young catfisherman

young catfisherman New Member

State:
    ohio
    ya gold fish r good bait but, cause dises

10. The Out-Fisherman

The Out-Fisherman New Member

State:
    Charleston, SC
    One time I considered using live medium-sized goldfish for flathead bait but I never tried it...I hear some folks have used them with some success.

11. catchinghogs

catchinghogs Well-Known Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    In Pennsylvania they are Illegal. I remember as a kid my dad taking me on walks along the river and there was numerous amounts of golden carp but I havent seen one of those in years. Maybe the big flatheads ate them.

12. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I have saw alot of those big orange carp we use to fish for them in wateree river quite often several yrs ago.

13. The Out-Fisherman

The Out-Fisherman New Member

State:
    Charleston, SC
    As far as the carp being "orange" I have always heard that it was due to the minerals/acids in the water, coupled with sediments that get caught in their scales that can change their color...I've caught a nice silver carp in a local pond, a black/brown carp in the Cooper River, and a orangish one in the Diversion Canal...All were the same fish, just different places/water qualities.

14. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    these we use to catch looked like 5 to 6 lb koi they were bright orange. wateree river gets loaded with carp this time of yr.