Goldfish as flathead catfish bait?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by F150Catfish, Jan 7, 2007.

1. F150Catfish

F150Catfish New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    I wonder if anyone try use goldfish for flathead??

2. catsnhemis

catsnhemis New Member

State:
    Indiana
    They work well. Can only use em in rivers though. Just check the regulations on it.

3. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    iv heard they were good bait in the ohio river iv used them once to no avail but prefer shad

4. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    i hear a lot of ppl braggin about how good they work.. esp in the ohio river.. but i hear about more ppl using blue gills...

5. F150Catfish

F150Catfish New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    yea I have been use 3 to 4inch bluegill but caught only 19in flathead.. it may bad fishing day for me...

6. upncomincatfishking

upncomincatfishking New Member

State:
    Cheviot Ohio
    i don't know bout indiana but in ohio you can fish with goldfish in lakes.but they're allright for blues but if i was you i would go with bluegills and it's against the law but crappies are the best bait ever biut 5-6inchs long

7. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I will take some goldfish to use as a last resort if needed, but I find that just about any other baitfish works better than goldfish. I've never had spectacular luck using goldfish. In fact I usually get skunked if I don't have fresh shad, and lively bluegills. I have caught a 15# flathead on them, and heard of others catching a few with them, but not consistantly.

8. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I have never try goldfish.

9. Eudora

Eudora New Member

State:
    Lambertville, MI
    Hey there:

I swear by goldfish. They last long on the hook, and if you hit the spinal cord, they'll spaz out for hours. Get a handful when you go out, and you'll be all set. Just make sure they'll legal to use as bait.

10. Ghoulscout 13

Ghoulscout 13 New Member

State:
    North carolina
    ive heard they can work well...but check your regulations or you could be looking at a lot of toruble

11. Pylodictis Olivaris

Pylodictis Olivaris New Member

State:
    Iowa
    they work great! They last longer then bluegill and always seem to keep kickin'. I use them 75% of the time. I actually have an old farm pond stocked with em...they multiply like rabbits.

12. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    Goldfish work decently at times but its hard to beat perch or bluegill. I think bluegill just work better.

13. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    I Got About 25 In A Rubbermaid Bait Tank Now Getting Ready For Spring. I Usually Get A Few And Fatten Them Up Because The Ones You Get At The Stores Are Usually Small.

14. F150Catfish

F150Catfish New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    yea I will try use goldfish in summer, which best use goldfish in daytime or night time??

15. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have caught blues but no flatheads. They certainly stay alive for a long time. Bluegill also stay alive for a long time and are much easier to catch.
    Goldfish are pretty expensive to buy at a baitshop. All said and done, around here the skip and shad are still the bait of choice in the Mississippi.

16. catfishn72

catfishn72 New Member

State:
    WhEELING,WEST VIRGINIA
    my biggest fish using gold fish was 30# i only use them when other bait cant be gotten.

17. F150Catfish

F150Catfish New Member

State:
    Wisconsin

you caught blues on goldfish?????

18. Ice-Berg

Ice-Berg New Member

State:
    Ohio,Cinci
    I like goldfish/bluegills live, because they elminate the peckers that rip fleshy baits off the hook.

19. sharkn1979

sharkn1979 New Member

State:
    georgia
    for me during the colder months goldfish work well but during the spring and summer i prefer a 4 to six inch red breast for the lager flatheads

20. james_s333

james_s333 New Member

State:
    byesville,ohio
    ppl all over ohio use gold fish.....and here on the muskingum ppl get flatheads on them they mostly use 4 inch or better