Goldfish as flathead catfish bait?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by fishergirl420, Jun 15, 2006.

1. fishergirl420

fishergirl420 New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Anyone ever use goldfish for flatheads? Any luck? I was just thinking that something foreign might attract their attention.

2. janton311

janton311 New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    ive used goldfish a few times and had some luck for flathead and channel, but they're kind of expensive, I prefer to use something I can catch in my castnet. Good luck

3. mspratt

mspratt New Member

State:
    missouri
    Fishgirl ..Have use gold fish for flatheads for years,good bait.In fact gold fish got my biggest flat a few years back 37#.But this year I caught one 42# on a bluegill.Gold fish are good bait they are easy to keep alive and thrash around on the hook good.:cool2: ur humble servant beartrap and his dog buoy

4. AZHUNTER

AZHUNTER New Member

State:
    ARIZONA
    many years ago i fished for big cats i use to go to the salt river a catch small carp some of them would be black an gray or black an orange
    i caught a few nice cats (15-18 lbs) but i dont know if gold fish are better l have seen gold fish in bartlet an did catch a 3 or 4 lbser one night
    you have to check the regs but i think its ok to use them on the verde river lakes an colorado river areas

5. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    The gold fish I beleive are illegal to use in AZ resouvours.
    ~ Unless of course you can catch them at the lake... Or at least convince the warden that you caught them at the lake. Just take them out of the PetSmart bag first!

6. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    thats good thinking brandi. i tend to grab the brightest gills in the bucket first
    (pumkin seeds i think they're called). i like that they are easier for the cats to see. may not make a difference just a confinence thing,ya know.

7. TxRiverman

TxRiverman New Member

State:
    Lockhart Tx
    I use them here in Tx with pretty good results,but IMO natural bait,bait that comes from the catfishes natural habitat,is always better.

8. tdpasser

tdpasser New Member

State:
    Gilbert AZ
    Andy's right in az the bait must come from the same waters. I wonder if it's technically legal if you drove the gills from roosy to the upper salt or drove the talopia from near by canals to the colorado. It would seem like that would be okay but I'm not sure about the guy holding the ticket book.

9. Mocathunter

Mocathunter New Member

State:
    St. Joseph, Missouri
    I use goldfish and carp, with great success. But it depends on what state you are in, as it has been stated here, some states it is illegal to use. But it always better to use what is locally available in your state waters, whether it is goldeneye, carp, shad, bluegill etc. Use what the fish naturally feed off of, if it is not to labor intensive to catch or purchase.

10. qball

qball New Member

State:
    Odum, Ga
    I've used goldfish some and I have better luck useing bream.