Goldfish as cut bait

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by Swampy, Jan 24, 2006.

1. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    I called the Fl. FWC and asked them one ?? and they couldn't answer it. In the fishing laws there is this "it is unlawful to use live goldfish as bait in Fl". I asked them if it is unlawful to use goldfish as cut bait in Fl and they couldn't answer me. The way I see it is if they are used as cut bait they are no longer live goldfish so we should be able to use them. What do you all think?

They are suppose to call me back after researching it,I think I found a loop hole in the law and now they don't know how to answer me.

2. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I called SCDNR and they didn't know if you could use them or not. First I spoke to a lady who had no idea. She put me through to the man that was supposed to the one who knew everything. The guy told me "Read you rules and see what that tells you" to which I replied I did thats why I called you. Dead silents fell on the phone, then he said have a good day.

I guess anybody off the street could do that job as well as they did.

3. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    Yeah that's about what I'v got out of them so far,I don't know.LOL I need one of those jobs,I think I could tell people "I don't know" for about 40,000 a year.:)

4. TeamWhiskers

TeamWhiskers New Member

State:
    Missouri
    More than likely, you will have to go to the State Level with this. Most of the local offices will either not know or want to give out their interpretation or opinion of the way the law is written. I would suggest trying to educate them from a letter with something like.. Now that Catfishing is a Sport across America, we as catfishermen would like to know a few of the specifics on Gold Fish being used as a bait fish for our state of …. The question has been brought up if we can use Gold fish as a cut bait or not? If you feel you have to, explain what cutbait is.. Sure, it will take them some time to get back to you.
    This kind of information is nice to know when traveling on the various tours as laws differ from state to state.

5. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    You can use goldfish as live of cut bait in SC RiverRatSC, and this came from a SCDNR game warden. The only laws that exist pertain to releasing non native fish into the wild, and as long as the fish is on a hook for bait it is not released. If you could not use non-native fish, then fishing with shrimp would be illegal.

Not sure on other states folks, this is just SC and NC that I know of for sure. Most states that don't allow it cover it under the "non-native species" rules.

6. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    From my experience, if its dead you can use it. As WylieCat said, Fish & Wildlife agencies are concerned with introducing non-native species into new waters & that's why they will regulate what can & can't be used for live bait. For example, in Indiana, the regs only specify that you cannot use live carp or live gizzard as bait (except at one particular reservoir) b/c the DFW doesn't want these species to begin showing up in waters where they historically haven't been in or in lakes where the DFW has spent a lot of time & money to get rid of them.

Too bad about your experiences dealing with your local fish heads. I haven't met too many who aren't willing to find the right answer for you...but you know what they say about there being a bad apple in every bushel.

7. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    Well I got an answer finally the answer is NO you can not use Goldfish live or as cut bait in Fl. There reasoning is "that's classed as introduction of a non native species into Fl water ways". I don't get it if it's dead it sure as hell won't be breeding,but that's what Fl. FWC said.

8. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    Ask a conservation officer when you see one. They are the ones that enforce he law. Just a thought.
    BIll:) :)