Goldfish as cut bait?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by caneycat, Dec 3, 2007.

1. caneycat

caneycat New Member

State:
    Texas
    I no some people use goldfish as live bait and with any luck I will be geting a 150 gallon stock tank so I can rase some and I got to thinking, would thay be good cut bait as well?

2. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    If they die on me I'll use them. I'm friends with a guy that owns a tackle shop and gives me all the dead ones and any other fish that die for free. I've caught plenty of fish with them cut and many with them live. I'd use them live first and then any dead ones I'd use for cut bait.

3. tomflatcat

tomflatcat New Member

State:
    Hampstead, NC
    I use them a lot as live bait but haven't tried cutting them up. I raise mine in a large cage I made that I float in a pond. I buy them cheap when they're small. After feeding them for a couple months they quickly become 4" - 6" or larger. I have a few that have reached 10" in 6 months. They don't grow over the winter when the water is cold. I'm going to build another cage next spring. I raise about 500 fish in a cage that is 12' long x 3' wide x 3' deep. I would think you could have about 100 fish in a 150 gallon tank with a good filter.

4. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i caught a large goldfish (2#) while trout fishing and made cut bait out of it, and didn't catch anything. i use cut carp a lot so i figured it would have a similar taste to the goldfish, since i guess they are in the same family. it just didn't work out for me. i have caught some really nice fish on 5-7 inch comets from the pet store, used live. a little tip for you since you are getting the stock tank- buy those little one inch feeder comets from the pet store. they cost a lot less than bait sized goldfish, and you can feed them really heavy and get them growing in no time. just make sure you have a good filtration system.

5. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    comeon guys fish with bait fish and let your pets grow.ive got 2 lb.plus goldfish in my koi pond but you cant use fish that eat out of your hand and come when you call their names.lol

6. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I have tried cut goldfish when they die after a long night, maybe have caught 1 fish....Thats not to say it doesn't work though, I haven't tried it much either so the odds aren't in my favor.

7. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Johnnie---Dad raised cattle when I was a pup. I learned real early that you don't name meat (or bait).