Goldfish as Bait in Illinois

Discussion in 'LOCAL ILLINOIS TALK' started by catfishingRon, Mar 29, 2006.

1. catfishingRon

catfishingRon New Member

State:
    Earlville, IL
    Is it legal to use goldfish for bait in illinois. I have been told yes and no! I would like to know, if I cant catch any shad Id like to be able to pick some up and use them.

2. Redtick

Redtick New Member

State:
    Neoga, Illinois
    The 60 pound flathead in my avatar was caught on a big goldfish. Yes, goldfish are legal in Illinois. You can buy them at the Catfish Connection in Pana, Illinois, one of the board's sponsors.

3. Droptine

Droptine New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Goldfish are legal but I recommend bluegill over goldfish.

4. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    i seen a guide using them in dixon illinois so im saying ya. i believe they are.

5. astutzman

astutzman New Member

State:
    Collinsville, IL
    does anybody know if goldfish can reproduce in the wild in Illinois? If they can i wonder if they would have a negative impact on the fisheries like the asian carp have.

6. TeamCatHazzard

TeamCatHazzard New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Yea they are legal. I have heard something dumb about they cant be considered goldfish if you are using them for bait. They call the bait goldfish something else to make it legal and they area a different breed or something. That is what some lady said at a bait shop one day. But yes they are legal although id prefer gills or something.

7. Flyingpig

Flyingpig New Member

State:
    Lakewood, Illinois
    I contacted the Illinois Department of Natural Resources and YES goldfish are Legal to use as Cut or Live bait in Illinois.