Goldeye or mooneye

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by primitivefrn, Oct 23, 2006.

1. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    Has anybody, every used goldeye, for bait, and does it freeze as good as skipjack, any place on Missouri river to catch them,
    Thanks
    Jim

2. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Oh yeah there great bait. Although I don't get many of them but when I do it's some of the best there is.

3. usmc0208

usmc0208 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I've never tried them before, but I hear they are good.

4. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Goldeye are awesome. It’s good bait fresh and it also freezes well, stays on the hook, it’s an oily bait without the shad smell, and the blues like it.

Find a small stream flowing into the main river and sometimes you can catch a bunch right there in the runout. A low water dam a short distance up a tributary would be perfect if you can find one. You can also catch goldeye in the swirl back below the wing dikes at times, but it’s hit and miss and a pretty slow process – not worth the time just for bait, but sometimes it’s a good use of the 3rd pole.

Goldeye become pretty scarce after the middle of May or so, at least for me. Maybe I just haven’t tried the right places or the right baits. I’ve caught them mostly on worms, under a bobber on a small hook, but you can also catch them on minnows or crappie jigs.