Goldeye for catfish bait?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by TA2D, Jun 21, 2006.

1. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I occasionally catch some goldeye when fishing, are these good for cutbait? Most of them that I catch are about 14-16 inches long.

Aaron

TA2D

2. Catfishhunter

Catfishhunter New Member

State:
    Lanesville, In.
    Yes they make real good bait.

3. da-cajun-angla

da-cajun-angla New Member

State:
    louisiana
    What The Hell Is A Goldeye...i Live In South New Orleans,la...we Probably Make A Gumbo Wit Em Or Sumtin'...lol...but Really I Have No Idea What That Is...lemme Know

4. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Goldeye make excellent cut bait. They are my bait of choice for catching blue cats, but they can be hard to find in these parts at times.

Goldeye are similar to skipjack or mooneye, kind of like a big shad with teeth, most common in more northern waters. They feed on things like insects, minnows, and worms.

5. katcatchingfool

katcatchingfool New Member

State:
    illinois
    gold eye make wonderful catfish bait ive caught alot of blues on them and several flat head and my largest channel ever

6. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I use them from tiem to time....usually as frozen cut bait. The channels seem to hit them pretty could. We caught two on them Sunday and they weren't biting very well. The size your talking about makes a pretty good size of cut bait.

7. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
  8. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    Aaron... They don't make good bait at all... you should vacuum pack all that you catch and send them to me for proper disposal.... Also you should do the same with any carp and shad you catch because they are awful as bait and should be taken as far away from you as possible... :wink:

9. Abu65

Abu65 Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Ther as good as it gets.

10. katcatchingfool

katcatchingfool New Member

State:
    illinois
    thats funny photocat

11. suddawg

suddawg New Member

You'll know if you've caught one da-cajun-angla. Just don't try what TA2D did the first time we caught one, and grab it by it's mouth.

Needless to say a 16 year old TA2D and SudDawg learned a very important lesson in life. TA2D learned that Goldeye have very sharp teeth, and SudDawg learned that laughing uncontrollably at TA2D leads to getting a$$ whooped.

SudDawg