Golden Shiners???

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by dogcat, Oct 7, 2008.

1. dogcat

dogcat New Member

State:
    Dayton Area Ohio
    Has anyone ever tried these before? After hitting a creek for some chubs today, Silvermark and I went to a lake my dad I fished years ago, and started catching these on wax worms as well as some gills. I have a bait bucket with a few dozen chubs, "regular" shiners, gills and several of these 5-7 inch golden shiners. I bought an ac pump and 12 inch long stone for my improvised bait tank, a huge styrofoam steak shipping container I found last year, which has worked well for short times between the bait fishing and the trip out in the evening. Am going to try my best to keep leftovers alive and fish tonight before the rain, tomorrow evening while it rains and Thursday after the rain trying to make some notes on the bite. I know these nice 5-7 inch chubs will work in this one particular hole and hope for some nice flats if they run across these golden shiners hoping to strike GOLD.

2. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    I havent tried them but would like to i bet they would work good here

3. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    Scott, I have caught and used some giant golden shiners for bait in TN. I have had success using them for cutbait for Blues. I have not tried them for Flats, but I would imagine they are good for them too!

4. HRCats

HRCats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I've used them before with some success on channels. I have never caught a flattie on them. That doesn't mean you won't! Good Luck!!!

5. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    I have seen those golden shiners go for a buck apiece in Fla. I have used them on the tenn river with good success on all cat species. I would love to have a freezer full now. Those are candy for the cats

6. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Kiser lake is the only lake besides my pond that I know of that has a fishable population of GS. State stocked them hard and heavy to support the hybrid/stripers in there. If you cast net there, youll get a bunch of them near the spillway. I really never noticed any better bite then say a chub. Let us know if you can tell a difference between the two.

Salmonid

7. MAX1955

MAX1955 New Member

State:
    KENTUCKY
    I've had good luck with them, with all cats.

8. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    That was one of my favorite live baits in Florida .... good for bass and great for large channel cats ... I used to catch themin the canals using a tiny ball of bread on a No. 12 hook and 4 pound line ... no sinker .. just let is freefall and watch your line ..... when it straightens out ... set the hook.