Golden Shiners?

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by kat in the hat, Jul 2, 2009.

1. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Went fishin' for bait in the overflow pool of a communty lake today. Caught a bucket full of green sunfish and bluegill. Also got this one lonely golden shiner. Do they survive well on a hook? I've never fished with them, but when I caught it, it looked like flathead food, lol. I know the lake has millions of them in there, but they very rarely take a worm on the lake, and this is the only one that hit at the overflow. I can't find anywhere that you can't use a castnet in this lake, but I don't want to be the one to find out that it's illegal, lol.

Anyways...here's a pic just because. :big_smile:

Attached Files:

2. CopeMan

CopeMan New Member

State:
    MO
    Ive used em before but in really warm water. Didnt last too long. They do work good as cut bait though. Good luck n good fishn

3. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    Hook them shallow and they last OK. They don't take much casting. When we can get them we use them in the river and just drop them out on floats and let them float down to the log jam then into the eddy. Only had one pond I could get them out of and the guy passed away, his Grand son is now trying to sell them to bait shops. Hes not have much luck, he wants to much for them.

4. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Real small hook like a 10 aberdeen a small peg float and a small chunk of meal worm or small dough balls. They good bait as dirtdobber said. I used to catch em out in colorado @ a city lake and a ol boy down in georgia showed me how to catch em when I was down there for a few weeks. Check with the MDC to make shure castnetting is ok in that lake. They dont work in hard current die to easy but slow still pools and fished on the bottom they are good. Used to nail massive channel cats on em in colorado @ Jon Martin lake. Dont be suprised to get big bass, gar, walleye, ect on em.

5. jimmykemper

jimmykemper New Member

State:
    Sturgeon, Misso
    im gona go get some of them guys tonight