Golden Shiners

Discussion in 'LOCAL NORTH CAROLINA TALK' started by Cathunter Pete, May 14, 2009.

1. Cathunter Pete

Cathunter Pete New Member

State:
    Fayetteville NC
    Have any you had any luck with using golden shiners that you can catch out of a pond. They are between 6" and 11"? Just caught some and put in bait tank going to try them out on the cats? Any input would be great!

2. catfish98054

catfish98054 New Member

State:
    hampstead,
    dont know about up your way but on the n,e,capefear they work pretty good for flatheads nad blues whole or cut

3. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Pete, last Saturday I caught a bunch of blues and keep them for food. While cleaning them, I checked their stomach contents to see what they had been eating. To my surprise, the larger ones were full of lake shiners. So yes, they do eat them.

4. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Yep they will eat them. Blues and flatheads will eat cut wild shiners. Especially the bigger ones.

5. deepwoods

deepwoods Member

State:
    north carolina
    Mac
    Is a lake shiner a shad?

6. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Jeff, no a lake shiner is not a shad. It looks just like the shiners you buy at the bait shop, but has a golden glist to the scales.

7. dudley-1

dudley-1 New Member

State:
    SOUTH CAROLINA
    Jeff here is a pretty good picture of a bigger shiner.When they get a little size to em their fins will have a goldish tint,you can see it on this one.This one is probally just like the ones cathunter pete is asking about.Basically its a grown up crappie minnow.

Attached Files:

8. Fishing Fred

Fishing Fred New Member

State:
    Lillington, N.C
    Many of the farm older farm ponds and most especially irrigation ponds in our area are sometimes full of golden shiners. Most pond owners consider them a nusian and would like to see them gone or reduced. A very small long shank hook baited with whit crappie nibbles, bread balls ( very tiny ) maggots or something like small wasp lava will catch them. Cast nets aren't usually any good because of all the moss you find in these older waters. Also they are very skittish. Sometimes I catch them on a fly rod using a jigging tecknic. They are much hardier than shad and work very well at times fished live or as cut bait in the Cape Fear. Flatheads love them mostly at night around the boat ramp off prision camp road near Lillington. Small chunks are good most of the time for channels sprayed with shad oil. Good luck, Fred

9. Cathunter Pete

Cathunter Pete New Member

State:
    Fayetteville NC
    Yes, the picture of the golden shiner posted above is exactly what I'm talking about. Used some in the tournament last weekend caught a few small blues on them, the blues are on the bed right now in the Fayetteville stretch of the Cape Fear, should be coming off in a week to 10 days.

10. Mako

Mako New Member

State:
    HOPE MILLS, NC
    so are the cats not biting up here in Fayetteville? Would it be better for me to head down to lock and dam 2 or 3 tonight instead? Thanks........

11. quadrunner42029

quadrunner42029 Member

State:
    NC
    badin is full of those i call the golden shiners i didnt know they were called lake shiners i dont guess it matters, we have caught some fish on em too.

12. kvillcat

kvillcat New Member

State:
    Kernersville, Nc
    I ues to catch a ton of these shiners in Fla when I was younger. I would bait the area the day before then toss out some oatmeal on the water and just toss my cast net. The local bass fishermen loved me. They would buy all I could get( cheaper than the bait shop ):wink:.

13. rcbbracing

rcbbracing New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Ive had awesome luck on shinners in the past...work just about as good as chubs for me....caught them all on shiners....