golden shiner?

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by saguy, Jun 17, 2008.

1. saguy

saguy New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Been wondering what type of fish this is for a while, hopefully somebody here can tell me. I believe its a golden shiner.

Well whatever it is, do you think it would be a good cat bait?

Attached Files:

2. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    dont know bout the golden part but is deffinantly a shinner.good bait for all game fish.cats like them alive or if big enough cut.

3. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    Yep, thats what we call golden shiners. Excellent bait for anything big enough to eat it. I use them for bass and channel cats. Fish them live about 2 or 3 feet off the bottom under a bobber and hang on...

4. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Ive never heard of them called golden shiners but they are excellent bait cut or live. I prefer live for flatheads or blues the bigger the better.

5. DrJ

DrJ New Member

State:
    SC
    That's what they called them in Florida. The best trip that I ever had catfishing, I started out fishing for stripers at Murray. They were not doing anything at all, so I left with my shiners and went to the canal at Santee. Talk about being in the right place at the right time. Got my pb of 40lbs and several over twenty. Can't wait for it to happen again.

6. SWAMPRAT

SWAMPRAT New Member

State:
    south carolina
    we call them silvers

7. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Yep. That sure is a golden shiner. Looks like a pretty big one. They are great live baits for lots of things. I used to catch some for bass baits when I was younger.

How big is it, and do you have a source for nice big ones? Some places back home in RI they got pretty big - like I've seen people catch some around a foot long, and then they got really confused, because they didn't think shiners got that big.

8. saguy

saguy New Member

State:
    south carolina
    All the ones i have caught are around 8" long. And i could probably catch a good amount if i wanted. The only way I can catch them is with a real small hook and some bread.

9. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Those should make great baits!

10. saguy

saguy New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Well I might have to give them a shot, I will probably end up using them as cut bait, think some fillets will do the trick, or should i peel them and use 'em whole ?

11. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Guess it depends on what you hope to catch.

For flatheads or good blues, I'd use them whole and live. Live ones would also be great to catch big largemouths or stripers, depending on where you're fishing. A big lively golden shiner under a float is the #1 bait for real bragging size largemouths in Florida. Blues and channels would certainly like them cut up, too. Then I'd probably just cut them in half or into whatever size chunks fit the size hooks your fishing and the size fish you're after. I always like my cut bait to have as much blood or guts as possible, so it has more smell to it. Shiners are not the most oily fish around, so the meat by itself is not going to have as much smell as shad or something like that.

Mind if I ask where you are catching them?

12. saguy

saguy New Member

State:
    south carolina
    I catch them in a pond in my brother in-laws neighborhood . I reckon i will experiment with them next time i go out, next trick is keeping them alive for the drive from my place to the lake, i guess i could always fork out some cash and get an aerator for a cooler.

13. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Well, the good news is that wild golden shiners are a lot tougher than bought shiners. Years ago a school/fishing/drinking buddy and I went bass fishing. We had a bucket with a mix of wild goldens that I caught with little bread balls plus a dozen or two bought large shiners. We got to messing around (as we often did) and left the bucket closed up in his Monte Carlo for a couple of hours. When we got back, the bought shiners were all dead, and the goldens were happy as could be.

Since yours are pretty big, an aerator or something would be a good idea to get them to the lake alive.

14. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I'm with James, and don't know where the "golden" comes into play as these fish are primarily silver. I guess different areas might produce different hues of them.
    <next trick is keeping them alive for the drive from my place to the lake, I guess i could always fork out some cash and get an aerator for a cooler>

Even with fresh caught ones, I have found them hard to keep alive even in an aerated tank. Some of 'em make it, but they are not nearly as hardy as other pan fish. They are indeed GREAT bait though when used alive.
    BB in SC

15. saguy

saguy New Member

State:
    south carolina
    The reason i called them "golden" is because they have a gold color to them, for some reason it came out silver in the pic, but its almost the color of a carp.

16. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Not to be a wise a$$, but it's also their name - "golden shiner"

The smaller ones seem more silvery, but the larger they get the more gold they seem to be, and of course, it also depends on the water they come from.

The are more flattened sideways than most of our local shiners, and the best feature to be sure you have a golden is to look between the vent and the pelvic fins - there is a little ridge that runs along there - not real sharp, but it's pretty obvious.

17. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I've caught silver shiners and golden shiners close to home. They look a lot alike but they are different being that the silver always looks silver but the gold look silvery sometimes.

18. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Wikipedia says the term "shiner" describes many types of small silvery fish. There are a HEAP of species of them. I do recall seeing some gold toned ones, but most of the ones we catch are silvery. We always just called them "roaches".
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shiner_(fish)
    Bill in SC

19. bellymeat

bellymeat New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    the smaller ones have a silver tint, but when they get bigger they are gold in color. They are very hard to keep alive. I have some in my bait tank now, but they take a lot of care to keep them alive. I would venture to say most of the shiners we catch around here are golden shiners...

Bass love these things.... Get you a balloon, a big bass hook and float them in between lilly pads. Some of the biggest bass I've ever caught were balloon fishing shiners.

I remember a Roland Martin fishing show where he caught this huge bass balloon fishing shiners.... The bass got caught up in the lilly pads so he jumps in to get the bass.... The kicker is he saw about an 8 foot alligator right off of the boat before he caught the bass. He's got bigger "balloons" than I have! :wink:

later...
    Ron

20. saguy

saguy New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Went out earlier to try catch some for the fishing trip tonight, but for the first time i didn't catch any....go figure, when i want em i cant get em! Oh well i caught a bunch of nice size bream. now i just hope the weather holds up all night.