Golden eye fish in the wabash river in Indiana?

Discussion in 'LOCAL INDIANA TALK' started by beaneye46, Mar 27, 2006.

1. beaneye46

beaneye46 New Member

State:
    indiana
    anyone ever heard or seen a goldeneye. my buddy caught one yesterday on the wabash. it almost resembled a shad, but it had a golden eye, and its mouth was slighly forked like a trout or something, anyone ever seen one of those things.

2. james

james New Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa
    I snaged one while trolling for stripers a couple years ago at lake texoma in tx. I never heard of them before then and never seen one. I thought i had caught something someone released from there fish tank.

3. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    The goldeneye makes excellent bait for cats either whole or cut. I have caught cats on them when they wouldn't take shad. Vern

4. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Vern's right, also, that's the only bait the guys use up in the Red River, Manitoba for those King Kong Channels.

peace,

tan

river scum likes this.
  5. james

james New Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa
    im guessing they are very rare around theses parts everyone i tell about catching it they say they never heard or seen one. i never thought about useing him for bait he was pretty big prob almost a foot long.

6. Hubdriver

Hubdriver New Member

State:
    Montana
    The actual name i found for them is "Goldeye". They are common in the Lower Yellowstone River Basin. I use them for bait, the larger ones for cut bait and the smaller ones whole for walleye and pike (the big ones will catch monster pike). According to what i have read, they can be eaten smoked or brined then poached. They are popular in Canada smoked.

7. elb1020

elb1020 New Member

State:
    indiana
    This is the biggest shad i have ever caught. Is it a goldeye?

Attached Files:

8. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    no... just a shad

9. Bcrockett

Bcrockett New Member

State:
    T.H., Indiana
    Yes, they are very common in the wabash. I caught the state record in '06 a wopping 2.16lbs. The guy I fish with beat me out the next year. Nothing like holding the state record on giant shad!:redface: These fish are very aggressive and you can catch a boat load of 'em the right time of the year with crappie jigs... They are easily confused with Mooneye, they look almost identical, look up the two for difference details.

10. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    So it's not a shad?

11. ddoss

ddoss New Member

State:
    indiana
    yes the picture is of a shad. the only way i know to tell between the mooneye and goldeye is by the dorsal fin in relation to the anal fin. if you look close at the two a mooneye's dorsal fin starts in front of the anal fin and a goldeye's dorsal is even with or closely behind its anal fin. they are tough to distinguish between sometimes.

12. Bcrockett

Bcrockett New Member

State:
    T.H., Indiana
    Nope, not a shad. And you don't want to lip them, they bite... Have a lot of little teeth.

13. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    so the picture the guy posted in NOT a shad?

14. Bcrockett

Bcrockett New Member

State:
    T.H., Indiana
    Picture - Is Shad; Goldeye - Not Shad

This is the picture of the fish I caught, I caught this fish on a 2" swim grub, if that helps give you an idea of aggressiveness. The only way to beat this record is to catch them prior to spawn. We have caught hundreds of the same length and nothing of the right weight, other then my buddies fish.:% Sorry, couldn't find a better one that allows good close up. I had planned to mount the fish but my freezer had other plans and went out before I was able to.

[​IMG]

15. Mo J-Em

Mo J-Em New Member

State:
    Sullivan, Mo.
    Yup, good cat bait. If ya got one theres many where that came from

16. hdfatboy29

hdfatboy29 New Member

State:
    indiana
    i've caught a few up around clinton and montezuma. they did make really good bait.

17. Mo J-Em

Mo J-Em New Member

State:
    Sullivan, Mo.
    One way we catch em other than a cast net is rod and reel. With a bobber a foot or two down with a number four hook with ul tackle. They are quick biters. Little minnows or also baby shad or baby asian carp. They are a blast to catch. Fun for the kids too. Mayfly hatch times are good times to target them also

drpepper likes this.
  18. gofish98

gofish98 New Member

State:
    Lafayette Indiana
    nice fish brian , we catch these by lafayette all the time. a few years back i brought 3 home ,took them out of the live well put each one in a freezer bag and droped em in the deep freeze ,my wife came out an hour later to get a ice cream bar and theres a mooneye staring at her , SHE WAS NOT VERY HAPPY , by the time I got a dozen in there she got use to them !!!HAHA