Gold Fish

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by RiverratSC, Aug 15, 2005.

1. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    It is illegal to fish with Gold Fish in this state. This just a heads-up so nobody gets ticketed.

2. fwmud

fwmud New Member

State:
    Wilson's Mills,nc
    I wonder if they're talking about goldfish or the gold colored carp?
    They sell those at the baitshop here local. Are they one and the same?

3. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I called DNR after I posted and they don't even know for sure. They connected me to three different people and never got a staight answer. One warden told they are and another said their not so.

4. coolbig2

coolbig2 New Member

State:
    Greenville, SC
    Ive seen guys using them for flats at paylakes, but Ive never heard of them being illegal.

5. whichrod

whichrod New Member

State:
    columbia sc
    its not illegal but its frowned upon , not because you can catch a ton of fish on them its the fact that people experment with baits and start using all sorts of fish that could harm the balance of a lake

6. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    i have heard they are illegal for yrs, but have never seen it in the rule book. the way i see it is if it isnt in the book they cant get you for it.

7. MUDHOLE KID

MUDHOLE KID New Member

State:
    Anderson,S.C.
    Our local DNR folks don't know as much as I'd like them to.There's alot of issuses that's been took before them and their answers was either null or silly.I don't see how you can be given a ticket if it's not a writen law.Using small bass and other game fish is illgeal,but goldfish is not a game fish therefore in my thinking it;s legal.Finding goldfish around here isn't easy,and if you do find them they're high.I've give them a thought myself along with carp and bullheads,just haven't got around to it yet. :confused:

8. Individualist

Individualist New Member

State:
    Lansing, Kansas
    It's legal here in kansas to use them and guys use them all the time especially for blues but like joey said, they are rather expensive. I personally don't like to spend anything on bait. I'm a bigtime common carp user and have virtually an unlimited supply of them from goldfish size on up. They do very good on the missouri river where I generally do most of my fishin.

9. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    You can use game fish on rod and reel but not on jugs, trotline and limb lines. Its on page 17 third dot down under methods and devices. Its also on page 21 under Regulations section titled Bait. Thats just the thing Gold Fish aren't listed on either page.

10. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    They are legal here to use. They sell them from a 1.50 a piece at one bait shop and I found a bait shop that sells them for 5.00 a dozen. Go figure.

11. MUDHOLE KID

MUDHOLE KID New Member

State:
    Anderson,S.C.
    I don't think you can have a bass on Hartwell under 12" It all dependeds on where you're at.We've caught creek bass in a seine but they're not legal to have in possesion.I know some people use bass but you need to make sure of the size limit,and they also have to be included in the creel

12. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Riverratsc, I'm puzzled too. I've always heard goldfish were illegal, but I am fairly certain they don't qualify as a game fish, so they should be legal. However on page 17, under selling & importing, 2nd paragraph "It is illegal to possess, import, or sell any fish species that is not native to SC waters without a SCDNR permit." Would goldfish probably fall under this criteria?
    If so they wouldn't be legal.

13. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    When I called they didn't know what the book said so they weren't much help. I would think they are illegal like you pointed out they are not native.

14. MUDHOLE KID

MUDHOLE KID New Member

State:
    Anderson,S.C.
    Why don't we just nominate ourselves to be on the DNR staff,seems like we're more interested in whats going on than they are :D Don't you just love it when you think it's important and they think it's some kind of joke question.I've even call the legislator about issues and they're in the dark.What it is guys we as avid catfisherman are starting to ask questions thats never been asked.Catfishing has become a "GAMEFISH" sport.and the questions are becoming more intense.I think the avid catfisherman should join together and try to make the catfish a game fish so it can be regulated more closely and more info will be released at the request of the catfisherman.I bet a dollar to a doughnut though,if you were to get checked while fishing with a goldfish these fellers probally couldn't honestly give you a ticket.But if I had a 6" shoal bass on the hook for bait they could slap one on me.They can only get you for something they truely know for a fact,Do you men feel the same.I'm gonna try one one of these days,I don't thing it's a big deal. :confused: :D

15. whichrod

whichrod New Member

State:
    columbia sc
    if you want to use gold fish i suggest you by them at petsmart there 10 cent each , you just ask for feeder fish they got tons in the tank all diffrent colors

16. flaboy

flaboy New Member

State:
    Wedgefield, SC
    Hey Whichrod, what kinda cat is that your holding? I'll bet it don't run from no dogs! LOL

17. whichrod

whichrod New Member

State:
    columbia sc
    ha ha thats snappers , my pet hes going on 24 years old now i dug him up while digging worms when i was 14! he was no bigger than a half dollar he lives in a 4x4 gold fish pond in my back yard , hes been really bad in his life killed a cat and bunches of squirrels unknown amount of birds ,he just sits and waits all day just under the water waiting for anything to come get a drink of water, after he killed the cat i covered the whole pond in mesh but it will not stop the birds and squirrels from poking there heads in then WHOOSE! there gone! he would just assume to bite my finger off but hey he,s like a son ha ha you can almost see him smiling in the picture ha ha

18. whichrod

whichrod New Member

State:
    columbia sc
    heres a bigger picture

Attached Files: