Gold Fish for catfish bait

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by HARVRAD2003, Mar 11, 2006.

1. HARVRAD2003

HARVRAD2003 New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    Just wondering about using Gold Fish for bait, Petco here in O'fallon Illinois has them for 29 cents a piece there 2-3" and I was wondering if they would be good to fish with in the Mississippi River by Alton Illinois. Haven't gotten out to fish in the River yet moved here the end of 04 and was unable to do much fishing last year, however hopefully depending on the wife and gas prices hope to fish there a few times.

2. Chris

Chris New Member

State:
    Spring Hill, Kansas
    I have used goldfish before, I like using them. I like to use larger bait because the larger the bait the larger the fish you might catch but thats not always true I caught my biggest flathead on golds.

chris

3. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Gold fish are good bait, I like using the 5-6 inches long for flatheads, even bigger.

4. HARVRAD2003

HARVRAD2003 New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    where do you get the larger gold fish and how much do they cost? would the 2-3" ones be good for channel cats or do channels bite on them very well.

5. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I use 3-4 inch goldfish from the bait shop as a backup to the live bait i can catch with my castnet. Ask your baitshop for the biggest he has. My area charges approx. $9.00 per pound which equates normally to $9.00 per dozen or 75 cents a piece. A wally world castnet is less than $20.00 and will save you hundreds of dollars, plus as exercise it's good for you and it's fun.
    Hope this helps.
    BTW, because of the expense of the goldfish I now have a bait tank in the garage!

6. kycat

kycat New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I have a gold fish honey hole. My uncle had a small pond behind his house, and his wife put a somewhat large amount of gold fish in it at one time years ago. The thing is littered with them now. I usually take a cast net and throw one time and net a few dozen up to fish with. I have a homemade live well that I can put in the bed of my truck to keep the alive. The ones I don't use I will take them back and put them in the pond. Gold fish are a great bait.

7. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    I have used goldfish on trotline for years and catch some nice ones with the 4 to 6 inchers. They work great for flatheads.
    They work good here in Texas.
    Givem a try.

8. svage23

svage23 New Member

State:
    virginia
    how about in areas where people rarely use gold fish or where cats rarely see them i should say would they still be as affective?

9. mjokerr

mjokerr New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Thats crazy never heard of using goldfish.:eek: Next time I go out I will go by Wally World and pick up a few and try them out.

10. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Svage23, If the cats are biting they will eat them, any were, any time, even if they are pink and wearing tutus. lol ;)

11. svage23

svage23 New Member

State:
    virginia
    hahahahaha well thats good to know but if i saw a pink goldfish wearin a tutu i damn sure wouldn't be usin it for bait.........lol