Gold fish for bait in Missouri - Is it legal?

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by cannady4, Apr 9, 2006.

1. cannady4

cannady4 New Member

State:
    il
    I was wondering if anyone knew if gold fish were illegal to use as bait in mo. I have just moved here and dont really know all the laws yet. Thanks for the help

2. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio

3. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    No problem,its fine.just don't dump the leftover live ones loose.

4. Rajun_Cajun

Rajun_Cajun New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    ya i think its fine, but like cook said just dont let the live ones go

5. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    :006: It's Legal Like The Y Said Take The Leftover S Home With You. Either Feed The Cats Or Put In Fish Tank.

6. paddle

paddle New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Or get out the crackers and have lunch.:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: --paddle:0a17:

7. mspratt

mspratt New Member

State:
    missouri
    Yea there legal,use em all the time on the big muddy. Infact I have caught my biggest flats on golds. .......allmost got 10 posts ,then I can see them pics. :cool: your humble servant Beartrap his river dog buoy and my boat river unit.......

8. smallriverrat

smallriverrat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    You can use goldfish as bait here in MO. And most bait shops sell goldfish as bait. Also there is a new rule change for this year. There is no lengh limit on bighead, silver carp and goldfish as long as you use it as live bait. And from what I have read there is no limit to how many you can have cept the bait limit. I think it is like 100 or something like that. So enjoy fishing with goldfish and let us know how you do.

Dave

9. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    :confused: Could you explain that? :confused:

10. jolle

jolle New Member

State:
    O'Fallon, MO
    Yeah we use them all the time and they work well. I think natural baits do better, but sometimes you just can't get them.

Good luck

11. Dave53

Dave53 New Member

State:
    Lonedell M
    I like to use shad or perch better unless the water is muddy..guys I know use large gold fish on trotlines and claim the color attracks the fish better in the muddy water.. I dont like paying 50 cents to a dollar for one..

12. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    Like the others I say they are legal but no better a bait than shad. I live in an area where goldfish are illegal to fish with (Iowa) and was excited to see they were legal in Missouri where we bought a home on the lake. Don't know why they don't legalize them in Iowa they could increase the profit for bait shops and not hurt the fish population at all from my findings. Not worth the price but they stay alive for a long time on the hook.

13. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Gosh, i know that they are legal in missouri,and i also thought they were legal in iowa because i have used them several times when i dident feel catching shad. I know that the new state record in iowa for blue cat 100# was cought down below belview neb. on the iowa side on a trot line useing goldfish last year 2005 i have the article from the omaha world paper.the man was from neberaska and they dont reconize fish that are taken on trot lines as far as state records go . I think im right about this Ive been wrong before , but shes gone now Thank god!!!! Bigcatman0816.

14. smallriverrat

smallriverrat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Kutter,
    All I know is that MO changed the regs for carp.

Non-native goldfish and bighead, common, grass and silver carp of any length may now be taken for use as live bait.

http://www.mdc.mo.gov/conmag/2006/02/50.htm

The old limit was 12 inches so now you can use as big of a carp as you want for live bait. I don't think they have any length limit on cut bait tho.

Dave

15. Rootwad

Rootwad New Member

State:
    Platte City, MO
    You can use them in Missouri. I do agree with Jolle about using bait that would be found in the water that you are fishing in but I have had some sucess with gold fish. They keep easy in a small fish(home made) pond or tank to use when ever you need them.