Gold fish as bait?

Discussion in 'Fishing Bait Review' started by kdm75, Mar 4, 2007.

1. kdm75

kdm75 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    I have heard of poeple useing gold fish as bait with great success,and been wanting to try them out. how many of you have used them,what size do you get, and are they worth the xtra money to fish with?

2. Jay Jay

Jay Jay New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    There not legal in Wi.

3. Catmaster

Catmaster New Member

State:
    SE Kansas
    OH YA! They are awsome for the flats. I mostly use bull head goldfish and perch for bait but I usualy catch quite a bit on goldfish. I like to use the larges up to 5" and up to 6-8" in known monster territory.

4. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    Goldfish definately work. Especially on limb and trotlines where it'll flop around in the water for hours. Don't expect to catch much of nothin' on 'em but flats. Although you might catch an occasional blue or large channel. Personally, I'd just go catch some bluegill and use them. They work just as good, if not better. And the best part is, all they cost is about half an hour of your time (at most). Anyway, let us know how they turned out, if you try 'em. And good luck.

-Red

5. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN
    ya know, i have had the exact same thoughts. goldfish as bait...have read it many times on this website. So a while back i was pickin up some food and treats for my dog and wandered over to the fish section. they wanted $2.19 for one flippin goldfish. I thought to myself...."self, we will never fish with goldfish". I can buy half pound or more of shrimp for that price....that's 30+ pieces of shrimp..sheesh.

cyas
    robert

6. Whiskerwhacker

Whiskerwhacker New Member

State:
    Michigan
    I thought Conway said, "don't call him a cowboy until you've seen him RIDE". I'm not arguing 'cuz your way sounds better. I wonder if the Nuge is a fisherman after all that talk about "cat scratch fever" ? LOL Does anyone know off hand of it is legal in Michingan or not? I was thinking for some reason you could not use gold fish here, but I don't know why I think that. I too have thought that it was a little expensive, but have wondered about raising them. Does anyone do this? I know that Koi seem to grow quickly and I have heard they breed like rats.

7. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Yes goldfish are a good bait the ones you find in bait shops are not the same as the ones you buy in the pet shop nor do they cost as much I am not sure but I belive you can't turn them loose here in Ar:tounge_out:

8. MississippiJugHead

MississippiJugHead New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I am lucky enough to get goldfish at a bait shop for around $4 a dozen. I say lucky because most places are double that price. They are a good bait especially in that they seem to stay alive easier in your bait containers and also on the hook. I use them on jugs and its very common to find them alive the next day.

I am not sure about breeding them (they are carp basically) but you might buy a bunch of the smaller "feeder" goldfish and try and raise them til they are bigger if you wanted to try something at home. I have seen some available for sale at bait shops that had to be a foot long.

9. KGK20

KGK20 New Member

State:
    MISSOURI
    I find that a 8" goldfish work real good for Big flatheads the bait store I get them from they are $7 dollars a dozen .Which doesn't seem like a lot of money to me considering all the big fish we catch on them. The bigest flathead we caught so far was 59 lbs. but last memorial weekend we caught over 400 lbs of fish on them. I think the best hook for them is a 10/ eagle claw J hook. Hook them right between the tail and top fin but don't hit the spine.They will stay alive good and be very active. Good luck

10. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    GOLDFISH ARE GOOD BAIT BUT I PREFER SOME OF DECENT SIZE AT LEAST 4 INCHES OR BIGGER. HERE THEY'RE $10 A POUND BUT YOU CAN GET 2 GOLDFISH HERE IN POUND IF YOU WANT SOME THAT BIG.