Going turkey hunting

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by 223reload, Apr 20, 2007.

1. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Well I went and bought my Turkey license and second tag,habitat improvement stamp and a box of 10 3" 12 ga mag turkey loads only set me back 53.00 so thats gonna be expensive bird!! but none the less I'm excited to be able to get out this weekend. I roosted a big tom last night ,had a thick beard around 8" +

2. Crawdad

Crawdad New Member

State:
    Mid-Missouri
    Richard, that sounds like my pheasant hunting trips. I figure they cost me about $100/pound.
    Our 3 week Turkey season started this past Monday. I didn't have any luck Monday or Tuesday, but they're in trouble tomorrow morning. Last Tuesday I sat on a ridge & listened to 3 birds gobble till 8:30 on the ridge across the highway from me.

3. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    $53 bucks isn't too bad, trust me. I'm going to school in Missouri so my tags are out of state. $175 for non resident... and on top of that on opening day I got a ticket for an unplugged shotgun. I'm embarrassed that I got it, just one of those things I totally overlooked (although I only had 3 shells in it anyway). Well thats another $100. Although the $100 could have and should have been avoided, I don't regret the $175 one bit even though I haven't bagged a bird yet. Sometimes you gotta pay a little to do things you really love. Good luck on your hunt!

4. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Our turkey season dosent open till May first, im ready to go just need to get out a couple of evenings and put em to bed. Good hunting Buddy!!!!

5. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    Splitshot: The birds are strutting everywhere in my neck of the woods. I haven't heard them talking much but they sure are moving. Got my eye on a good one, but I'm not all that fusy.

Richard

6. tkyhnt

tkyhnt New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Richard,

You sound like me, any mature tom will do, I passed on a semi brushy shot at a big tom in Kansas the other day and shot his buddy that was on his way out. I go by that old saying "a bird in hand is worth two in a bush":big_smile:

7. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Well dang the luck
    .gotta go find a different place to hunt ,there was two fellas set up where we were going to hunt this morning ,so we just came home and left them to it. no biggie to me theres plenty turkeys around ,just have to get permission to hunt a different land owner.

8. Pillpeddler

Pillpeddler New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Good luck to all of you guys, the birds here are henned up really bad. The good news is my son took his first bird this year during the youth season. 24 & 1/2 lb, 10" beard, 7/8" spurs. That was the happiest I've ever been to see one of God's critters get folded up. I don't know what I spent in gear and time on that bird, but seeing my son do something that doesn't involve a computer or tv screen.... Priceless!

God Bless ya.

Pill