Going tonight Spencer lake, south side

Discussion in 'OHIO LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by jmjackson333, Jun 16, 2007.

1. jmjackson333

jmjackson333 New Member

State:
    Spencer, O
    I live in Spencer and have successfully catfished the north side of the lake for years. But I have never even wet a line on the south side of the causeway (only reason being that the access to the north side is closer to my house)! Well tonight I'm going to give the other side a try. I'll let you know how it went!

2. jmjackson333

jmjackson333 New Member

State:
    Spencer, O
    Wow!! That sucked!!!! That lake is the epitome of "fished out"! To the dirtball who wrote that article about Spencder Lake being an awesome place to catch cats, thanks for nothing !!! You ruined a great little lake. There were five other boats and atleast fourteen different shore parties fishing on the south side alone. And the north side looked to be about as packed! The lake is only 51 acres total!!! We had our season opener there in April, and only four fish were caught. I thought is was because it was so cold that night. But now I believe it was because the lake is overharvested and fished to death!

3. skinner766

skinner766 New Member

State:
    Orrville Ohio
    I'm not sure the lake is fished out. But it has been slow up there for awhile, i have fished it probly ten times this year so far and havn't caught more than two cats at once. Also the shad have some sort of sickness right now and are dieing off, their eyes are swelling and blood red, so the cats may be feeding heavy on them and not be so hungry. Last weekend a friend of mine caught a nice albino channel cat there about 5lbs on cut shad.The biggest gripe i have about the lake is the bullheads they are over populating the lake and steal your bait before the channels can find it.

4. 72hdflh

72hdflh New Member

State:
    West Salem, Ohio
    I was there on the south side on Sat. also, what a crowd. When I got there, I pulled all the way down the drive and couldn't even think of getting to the ramp because of people parked in the no parking areas, one guy was standing next to his truck when I pulled in and do you think he would even offer to move, not that it would have helped much. I had to back my boat all the way back out to the archery range to turn around, then back all the way from the range back to the ramp to put in.LOL We caught a couple of small crappie and a couple bluegill before dark that I saved for cutbait. We fished till about 1:30 am with only a couple of small hits, probably bullheads, using cut bait and chicken livers. Water was 85 degrees when I got there at about 6:00 pm. I think there really is too much fishing pressure for the size of the lake, too bad because it is close. I think I am going to start going to Charles Mill, about 20 miles further, but hopefully not as much pressure and it has flatheads.

5. 72hdflh

72hdflh New Member

State:
    West Salem, Ohio
    Justin,
    Have you had any luck on the north side recently? I have never really tried the n. side because the s. side looks so much better. the n. side is actually a little closer for me as well.

6. jmjackson333

jmjackson333 New Member

State:
    Spencer, O
    The north side has two good spots. But they are easily reached from the bank and that is where everybody fishes. So far this year I have caught very few, and absolutely no size to speak of. There are a lot of sunken Christmas trees just in front of the boat ramp. And also on the back side of that point which is straight across from the ramp on the west side. These used to provide enough cover near the deeper water to hold a few dandies. But lately nothing.:sad2:

7. jmjackson333

jmjackson333 New Member

State:
    Spencer, O
    Oh yeah, Charles Mill has me pretty excited, too. Plenty big and there are flatties! I fished a Neocats tourney there in May, we caught a lot of nice Channels. There was over 120 lbs of catfish caught that night! I'm definately heading back there this summer.