Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Cool. Thanks Craig.
They must go for the scent/ innards, since both halves can’t wiggle like night crawlers. Right?

Do you use, like #8 Aberdeen hooks?
I usually use a small jig head or I will use somewhere between an #8 to a #12 hook.

Yes I think they go for the scent as they don't wiggle much once pinched in half.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #23

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
We were fishing with 2 rods suspended and 2 dragging on planer boards and we trolled all day except for about 10 minutes when eating lunch. Caught all 6 on the rods that we were dragging and only had 1 bite on the suspended rods. We kept between 0.4 to 0.6 MPH. Should have probably switched another rod to dragging, but didn't think about it until I was about done.

·
Registered
OkC Oklahoma
401 Posts
[
A340A9AD-EAB8-44F3-987F-FC2E5635173A.jpeg

I got to the lake at about 11:45, got my chair set out, started looking for bait. GGGRRRR!!
Left it on the kitchen cabinet. Good thing it’s only 4.5 miles.
I had wet lines by 12:30. Had my usual “buffet” out for them. Not a nibble. I put a night crawler on one hook. Caught a small catfish. So, I changed another one. Caught a crappie that was almost as big as the cat.
Rebaited the hook. Twenty minutes later, on the same line, hooked my first striper. He was the biggest of the three. He outweighed the cat and crappie, put together.
3393EA4C-0C64-4FE5-B2D8-B9EBC37E7035.jpeg

·
Registered
517 Posts
I have more luck fishing meal worms on the bottom in the shallows for bluegill than on a bobber....might just be me though 😂

·
Registered
Stacee from Indiana
2,241 Posts
[ View attachment 323734
I got to the lake at about 11:45, got my chair set out, started looking for bait. GGGRRRR!!
Left it on the kitchen cabinet. Good thing it’s only 4.5 miles.
I had wet lines by 12:30. Had my usual “buffet” out for them. Not a nibble. I put a night crawler on one hook. Caught a small catfish. So, I changed another one. Caught a crappie that was almost as big as the cat.
Rebaited the hook. Twenty minutes later, on the same line, hooked my first striper. He was the biggest of the three. He outweighed the cat and crappie, put together.
View attachment 323736
Nice catch them stripers are hard fighters.
I noticed yesterday the channel cats have lots of yellow in them this time of year.

·
Registered
OkC Oklahoma
401 Posts
Nice catch them stripers are hard fighters.
I noticed yesterday the channel cats have lots of yellow in them this time of year.
Yes. The one I caught yesterday did.

·
Registered
OkC Oklahoma
401 Posts
4/7/21: The grandsons and I are planning to hit the lake tomorrow. It’s supposed to get into the high 70s. So, we’re going to teach some worms how to swim.

·
Registered
OkC Oklahoma
401 Posts
I went to Academy today and bought another Quantum Optix 70 and an QO 10. Spooled them with 40# braid and 10# Cajun, respectively.

·
Registered
Neill from NW Arkansas
1,220 Posts
Grandpa,
I'd be interested in hearing your review of the Quantum Optix 70. I have a 60 and no complaints so far.

·
Registered
OkC Oklahoma
401 Posts
Grandpa,
I'd be interested in hearing your review of the Quantum Optix 70. I have a 60 and no complaints so far.
I don’t have a 70. I have 2 QO 60s and a 10. Love all 3 of them.
Smooth casting, fast, fmooth retrieve.
The last time the boys and I went fishing, I impressed Isaiah (teenagers “know everything better than adults” ya know).
He had cast his line on an Eagle Claw spinner and 11’ pole with a 3 oz weight about 30 yards.
I had my Optix 60 on a 9’ pole, with 3/4 oz weight.
It cast about 20 yards further than his.
“WOW! How did you do that??”
“Better reel. And old age.” 😀😀

I expect the Optix 10 to do at least as good a job for me. Maybe not the distance, but for what it’s designed to do, I expect it to do it.
IMO,the Quantum Optix series of reels are the best that Zebco now makes. I’ll never buy their spin cast reels for myself again.

·
Registered
OkC Oklahoma
401 Posts
8252A88B-2151-497D-8824-3DFD756F33AD.jpeg

Finally got a hook in one. A dink. But it’s a start.
Another dag blasted dink. But, if I can get a flatty, I’ll have a grand slam !!

I didn’t get my grand slam No flathead It got a bit cool for my taste
046D16AA-D4E1-4D80-8C3C-F2D09A9847D3.jpeg

·
Registered
OkC Oklahoma
401 Posts
Any time I can get bait where I catfish is an even better day.
Especially when running low on bait.
See my signature? 😀
“I fish for catfish. Everything else is bait.” 😀

·
Registered
OkC Oklahoma
401 Posts
Isaiah and I might go out this afternoon. So, being the same day, if I get a flathead, there’s my grand slam.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts