Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Better weather here this week. Boat is loaded up, and going to hit the river tomorrow. Downsized my hooks and plan on targeting channels as the water will still be pretty cold for any flatheads. Also got some nightcrawlers and some shrimp so hoping something will give a tug on the end of the line.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm going tomorrow if I can catch some bait.
I will try a Kentucky rig with two small baits.
Hopefully more scent will draw them from where ever they are hiding.
I got chicken, shrimp, nighcrawlers, and some doughball for carp. Hoping if I don't catch catfish, I will catch something to use for bait. Fishing WV and there is no rod limit there so I will probably have 6 or 7 rods out. Maybe a couple more if the wind and current doesn't mess that up.

·
Registered
Steve from Mississippi
1,365 Posts
I'm going tomorrow if I can catch some bait.
I will try a Kentucky rig with two small baits.
Hopefully more scent will draw them from where ever they are hiding.
Yeah I like the Kentucky rig for cooler water. It has produced well for me the past couple of years. I would highly suggest if you are not using it, put it in your arsenal soon!

·
Registered
OkC Oklahoma
401 Posts
Yeah I like the Kentucky rig for cooler water. It has produced well for me the past couple of years. I would highly suggest if you are not using it, put it in your arsenal soon!
Kentucky rig is about all I use, fishing off the bank.
The temperature is supposed to be low 70s here this afternoon. The grandsons and I are gonna teach some nightcrawlers and mealworms how to swim. 😀

Might catch a bluegill or two to use for cut bait.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You did better than I did. Felt great to be out, but I never got a nibble. Started out on the river and the trash and ice was really a pain as it kept catching on lines. Finally after an hour or so I moved over to a stream mouth. Alot better there, but didn't get anything going. I then trolled up that stream for a ways, but still not bites. Was a little surprised as the water was like 40.8 in the stream vs 38 in the river. Thought fish would have been in there.

Untitled by cspot12, on Flickr

·
Registered
OkC Oklahoma
401 Posts
Grandsons and I were on the bank at Overholser by 1:30. Lines wet about 1:40.
I don’t think Philip really wanted to fish. He just wanted out of the house.
Isaiah only took his 10’ pole, with his “big spinning reel.” After tossing his bait (chicken breast) off the hook, he wanted me to, “show me how.” He was really surprised to see how far it would cast ( 4oz weight, about an ounce of chicken). Actually the longest cast I have made since I retired, about 60 yards.
My 6500, cast really well. Only had a “micro birdnest ( maybe two turns overspin, nothing to worry about).
I was telling the boys how much better my Quantum Optix 60 is than the cheaper (quality as well as price) spinner Isaiah has.
Philip, ever the skeptic, “Prove it, dude. Bait up and cast it.
The reel is on an 8’, MH rod. I put about the same size piece of chicken on it, and cast it. About 10’ past where Isaiah’s was. With a 3/4 oz steel egg weight on it. That cast didn’t just impress Philip, it impressed the heck out of me !!

By the way, not even tiniest bitc. About 57 degrees (water temp was aroung 50. Wind about 20 mph. But, it was FUN just being out with those two.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Went out Saturday and Sunday on the Ohio River. Saturday had a few bites, but nothing hooked up. Today the weather was a little nicer and I hit a creek that empties into the Ohio and I trolled up it. Alot of fish stacked up in that warmer water, but I only caught 1 and had a couple of bites. With the amount of fish that was showing up on the sonar, I thought I would have caught more. Seemed to be alot of bait, and the channel I caught was really overgorged, so perhaps they weren't hungry.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Went out Saturday and Sunday on the Ohio River. Saturday had a few bites, but nothing hooked up. Today the weather was a little nicer and I hit a creek that empties into the Ohio and I trolled up it. Alot of fish stacked up in that warmer water, but I only caught 1 and had a couple of bites. With the amount of fish that was showing up on the sonar, I thought I would have caught more. Seemed to be alot of bait, and the channel I caught was really overgorged, so perhaps they weren't hungry.

That looks like a real nice boat you have. I'll have to look at one of those stoves you have a my kids love cooking hot dogs on the boat. I have a table that flips up on my boat. So thanks for the idea.

·
Registered
OkC Oklahoma
401 Posts
I’m at Lake Overholser now. Been here since about 7:00pm last night.
Air temperature is around 68 degrees.
Something has been stealing bait, but nothing will take a hook. 🤨🤨🤨

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Don't know if it's the case with you but with us this early in the year we need to downsize our hooks and baits just a little. Instead of 6/0 use a 4/0. Don't know if it will help or if that is the problem we just have those that won't hook up this really on bigger baits

·
Registered
OkC Oklahoma
401 Posts
E8D1E497-5F9B-4198-B7ED-99A9EC44B5FA.jpeg

Posted that last just a bit too soon.
I had a balloon out. It felt like it might start raining, so I reeled it in. I don’t know if I can say I caught it. (Look at the tail.) This is the second oneI’ve “caught” that tied itself in my line.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Haha that's funny I've seen it but never had it happen. Hope you can "catch" a fish tonight lol good luck

·
Registered
OkC Oklahoma
401 Posts
Don't know if it's the case with you but with us this early in the year we need to downsize our hooks and baits just a little. Instead of 6/0 use a 4/0. Don't know if it will help or if that is the problem we just have those that won't hook up this really on bigger baits
I was using 5/0 circle hooks and bait about the size of my thumb. On another line, 5/0 with nightcrawlers.
The water was a bit choppy. So, couldn’t really tell when it was a fish.

·
Registered
OkC Oklahoma
401 Posts
2FC63F04-5CE1-4CB0-A7C2-2895A6820FF1.jpeg

well, I overcame the skunk tonight.
Thats the toe of my size 10 1/2 boot, for size comparison. Fat little guy. Maybe 2#.
Believe it or not, I caught him on a piece of strawberry jello pork chop. ( It’s right there by his mouth. )

# 3 for me this year. And the PB for the year. Getting bigger.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well I ran to the local strip mine pond and did manage to catch 6 bluegill. Water temp must finally be getting warm enough for them to start hitting. I did catch them fairly deep though. Thought I was going to get more as I was tearing it up at the beginning, but then they went cold. Wife and I are planning making a day of it tomorrow chasing the cats. I have some chicken and some frozen skipjack that I will take as well.

·
Registered
OkC Oklahoma
401 Posts
Has anyone ever successfully used meal worms form crappie and bluegill?

The boys and I tried them about a month ago. Too cold, I reckon.
It was funny, both boys were a bit afraid of them.

Reactions: D schuerenberg

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Has anyone ever successfully used meal worms form crappie and bluegill?

The boys and I tried them about a month ago. Too cold, I reckon.
It was funny, both boys were a bit afraid of them.
Meal worms is my main bait for bluegill. I pinch them in half. I like them as they are tough so you sometimes get multiple fish per worm.

·
Registered
OkC Oklahoma
401 Posts
Meal worms is my main bait for bluegill. I pinch them in half. I like them as they are tough so you sometimes get multiple fish per worm.
Cool. Thanks Craig.
They must go for the scent/ innards, since both halves can’t wiggle like night crawlers. Right?

Do you use, like #8 Aberdeen hooks?

Reactions: D schuerenberg
1 - 20 of 41 Posts