Going to winterize,,Stabil or Seafoam ?

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Slatebar, Oct 3, 2009.

1. Slatebar

Slatebar New Member

State:
    ohio
    Getting ready to put the boat away in a few days and have been thinking of changing fuel stabilizers. I have always used Stabil to winterize with good results. But this past year I have been using Seafoam as an additive/cleaner and just worndering if any of you use it alone to stabilize your fuel? Being "Old School", I will probably stick with Stabil but would like to hear others opinions. BTW 2003 Mercury/Tracker ELPTO 90 HP hanging on 2003 Bass Tracker Pro Team 185. It will also be put away with full tank, both oil and gas.

2. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    I would use the sta-bil,seafoam is a great product for keeping everything nice and clean in your fuel system,but it's not really a long term fuel stabilizer I don't think! use both and be worry free!

3. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Use the stabil that is for the ethanol fuel it will work well

4. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have always used stabil. I did however forget to put it in my bike before i left. But that's an easy fix, take off the tank and burn the gas in the fire pit.

5. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    Sta-bil has always worked well for me. Well, at least after I discovered you needed to do such a thing....many years ago.:big_smile:

That's right....I had my fuel turn to jelly on me. Lesson learned!

6. Shad gut

Shad gut New Member

State:
    illinois
    seafoam is all i have ever used never rebuilt a carb yet! great stuff!:wink:

7. Rollinunknown

Rollinunknown New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Missouri

i pour a whole can about every other fill up ... (12 gals)

That should keep the combustion chamber clean right and clean the plugs ?

8. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    I used seafoam last year with no ill results......but i wondered if i was doing the right thing. I think i will probably use marine stabil this year whenever i finally decide to put the boat up for the winter.

9. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    Lots of people are getting burned because there's ethanol in places that didn't have ethanol a year or two ago. In the midwest, we've had it for a long time but we also have the 87 pumps too. As I understand it, if you have e10, you need the ethanol stabilizer and it isn't seafoam.

10. justbfishin

justbfishin New Member

State:
    Hope Mills
    Sea foam will work as a stabilizer, but it's more suited for decarbing and cleaning the fuel system. Stabile is made just for stabilizing so that's probably the more effective one. I don't know what the difference is b/w the regular and marine stabil but I will probably start using the marine next time I get some.