Going to Try Wrapping Handle

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by Spider, Dec 4, 2009.

1. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA
    I ordered some para cord and am going to attempt replacing my Tiger rod handle. I removed the foam grip but till need to smoth out the glue on the blank. The foam came off relatively easy. I'll let yu know how it works out.
    I like those rods but don't like the thick foam grip material.

2. Cherokee Rod Man

Cherokee Rod Man New Member

State:
    Eufaula La
    WTG Larry....I like a wood rasp to file off the old glue. Put down the double carpet tape and peel off the backing, then cut 2 short peices of tape about 3" long and roll one around the butt next to the cap. Roll the other around the end of your foregrip area...this keeps the tape from rolling over when ya tie off. You will love that cord handle!:big_smile:

3. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

You,ll have to post a pic when your done Larry.What color you goin with?

4. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    I have 3 more 30/60's and I am going to put a braided neon cord on one, in colors of purple, green and hot pink. It will POP out at ya for sure:cool2: cannot wait to get started on it.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2009
  5. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA
    Well, I did my very first grip replacement with cord. With one layer the wrap would have been too small a diameter so I ran back over the first layer with a second. This made the diameter more what I wanted and it's still less than the foam was (which is what I wanted). I also cut 3" off the end of the blank. I thought it was a little too long. The end cap I found at the hardware store and there were four in a pack for $1.50. I didn't use tape or adhesive on the blank and will see what happens. I did put epoxy at the base of the blank and on top of the bottom wraps so the cap says put. The wrap seems to be real stable and doesn't twist or move. If it would happen to not work, I'll just try again. No big deal. I went with a tan color cord, I didn't want anything fancy or bright. I figured the tan just might help hide normal dirt that always gets on everything.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      19.2 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      16.9 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2009
  6. Cherokee Rod Man

Cherokee Rod Man New Member

State:
    Eufaula La
    You did great! and that's a good way to look at it....if it's not what you like just roll it off and wrap a second one on. If you want to keep them looking clean, just spray on some Scotchgaurd spray on water repellant and they repel slime & scales better.:wink:
    No biggie on those caps pushed on, you will find they are hard to loosen even with no glue.

7. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Looks nice Larry,Good job!:cool2:

8. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    very nice job larry, let us know how it holds up ta gettin wet and landin a couple fish. i'll have ta check those out. the nice thing is also if ya get tired of that color ya just switch it out and its like a new rod again, very cool idea.:wink:

9. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    Now I know who fixes rods close by:wink::smile2:Just kiddin Larry nice work:wink:

10. ste6168

ste6168 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Where did you order the para cord at? and what diameter works the best? I have a cheap whuppin' stick that I would LOVE to move the reel seat up and re-wrap with para, I just can't see sending it out to have 50+ dollars worth of work done to the ~25 dollar rod. This is something I would def try on my own though (if I ruin the rod, I am still not out all that much money!)

11. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA
    I got the para cord on ebay. There were quite a few color choices. The cord is about 1/8" diameter. I paid about $20 (with shipping) for two 100 foot lengths in two different colors. In my case the 1/8 wasn't enough and larger diameter would have made for too rough a grip. I wrapped from one end then came back down over the first with a second layer. This brought the grip to a nice diameter. I made all thewrapping as tight as i could pull and it appears to be real stable with no movement at all. As I said in my riginal post, should the way I did it not end up woring out then I'll just try again. One rod I used no adheasive except for at the tie off but the other I sprayed some 3M Adheasive on the blank before the first layer of wrapping. That stuff sticks real well. Here are pics of both rods.

Attached Files:

12. holliswood

holliswood Well-Known Member

State:
    King, NC