Going to try to quit smoking

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by catrod, Aug 27, 2006.

1. catrod

catrod New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I have a physical assesment test I have to take at the end of September, and I am going to quit to try to get into shape for it. Any ex-smokers got any advice for me to help?

2. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    well i am not a ex- smoker but i will give u some tips that i think would help

THINK OF THEY MONEY U WILL SAVE
    THINK OF THE YEARS OF YOUR LIFE U WILL SAVE!
    THINK OF ALL THE PEOPLE U WILL NOT BE HURTING WITH SECOND HAND SMOKE

JUST DONT BE AROUND ANYONE THAT SMOKES FOR THE FIRST FEW DAYS AND JUST STAY AWAY FROM THE SMOKE

DO IT FOR YOURSELF AND EVERYONE AROUND YOU!

Jeff

3. gcarlin

gcarlin New Member

State:
    Richmond ,Indiana
    I wish you luck and chew lots of gum

4. SpaceAce

SpaceAce New Member

State:
    w
    Been Cig free for 2 months now. Commit yourself AND CHEW LOTS OF GUM. For me, I carried around a pack that had 4 cigs in it and I think that helped me knowing that I had a couple if I had to have them. I never needed them and now that I have quit I feel great.

5. Backwater

Backwater New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    You can do it if you are ready. I quit April 24th after 26 years and numerous failed attempts.
    I changed my routine completely. I quit taking my breaks at work in the smoking area. After meals, I read to my child or rode the 4-wheeler, anything to keep from sitting on the porch with a smoke. NO CHEATING. No substituting dip, chew, pipe, or cigars. Remember why you are doing this, you will start feeling better in two weeks. You can do it, I'm pulling for you. PM me if you need to talk about it,
    Jeff

6. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Glad to hear you are going to quit, you are adding extra years to your life and saving money! Good luck with it!

7. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Just don't smoke, COLD TURKEY!

I tried the Patch once but it didn't work. I told my father that I was trying the Patch to quit, he said to me in all his wisdom, "What, do you put the patch over your mouth?" LOL. God bless his soul!

8. catrod

catrod New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Keep it coming guys I need all the help I can get!

9. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Rod, if I can do it I know you can . I gave them up cold turkey Dec 5th ,05. Got up that morning doing my usual coughing lite cig and couldn't hardly get my breath. Never smoked any more that day. Tried it again next day results the same. Had a pk and a half left. Gave the full pk to neighbor kept 1/2 pk on shelf for 2 weeks just in case. Finally threw them in trash.Haven't smoked since. Myself I can't chew gum ,makes me want a cig,however I do eat a lot of Butterscotch hard candy. So far it's worked.So Sept 5th it will be 9 months. and I sure do feel better. Oh yeah I'm 62 and I strted when I was 9.Thats a long time to smoke and just give it up.I tried patches,pills but didn't work . COLD TURKEY FOR ME. You have a lot of support on here if you really want to do it. I'll help you anyway I can. Just hang in there (YOU CAN DO IT)

10. bubbajum

bubbajum New Member

State:
    Monongahel
    Pound it in your head to quit.

Tell your self your quiting OUT-LOUD just don't think it say it.

As Nike says:
    JUST DO IT

Prayer coming your way to.

11. SpaceAce

SpaceAce New Member

State:
    w
    Cold turkey seems to be the way to go. I tried Zyban one time and had an allergic reaction. I just woke up one morning with 4 cigs in a pack and said I was going to see how long I could go without smoking one. Have'nt had one since. There is some good advice in this thread, and if you need any more encouragement PM me. Good luck.

12. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    A nurse practitioner that resembled a drill sargent, once told me how she quit.

Take 1 pack of cigarettes and hide them in a very difficult place to get to, so that when you want a cigeratte you have time to talk yourself out of it.

Buy lots of gum, dum dum suckers, mints, etc. Pop one in when the craving hits.

Remember when you want that one cigarette it's ok to have it, but you have to work for it. As time passes, you will be ready to stop working for that coffin nail, if it works.

Take care.
    Cheryl

P.S. Let me know, as I have never tried it and still puff away and away and away. GOOD LUCK!

13. spaceman

spaceman New Member

State:
    Strong, Ar
    i have know several to quit, they used Prozac or a simeral drug, it helps the mental edge, good luck.

14. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Promise yourself something like an Abu Garcia 7000HSBG reel each month you quit. That was one of my rewards - I have 5 of them now and rods, and line, and I like them more than the cigs. Made it over 2 years. Still think about it, but when I do, I promise myself another rod or something. LOL

15. ldp4657

ldp4657 New Member

State:
    Two Egg, Florida
    You've got to make your mind up that that's what you want to do. It is not easy but possible. Haven't smoked in about a year now. The only side effect for me has been a little weight gain. You can do it!!!!

16. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN

NOW, that sounds like a plan!

TaKe care.
    Cheryl

P.S. Love your signature.

17. polecatter

polecatter Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Rod.....it is really very easy to do! You just have to make up your mind to do it.
    Once you decide you are going to....."you can". I tried numerous times during the 40 plus years I smoked and just couldn't get it done. Just too weak minded to accomplish the task! Then when I woke up in the hospital emergency room after a fatal heart attack.....yes I was brought back to life.....I swore if I recovered I would never smoke another one. "I was the Marlboro man." Haven't even looked back since. Yes there are times I've wanted one, but not bad enough to kill myself again! Just make up your mind and prove to yourself you are much stronger than those little cancer sticks and really start enjoying all the new food in your life.....it tastes great. Coffee even has a new taste! You don't need to keep any smokes around for security either. Throw them all away, tell yourself you can do it....."QUIT" and don't even look back. If you want to you will and if you don't you won't. Good luck my friend.....life is really great without them! Just remember your quitchyacallit is setting on your shoulders. Don't let a little paper and tobacco control your life!

Larry

Keep On Castin.....Cattin!

18. bigmike

bigmike New Member

State:
    Kankakee,Illinois
    Quitting isn't easy I have struggled back and forth, but when I am on a good stent of not smoking I chew a lot of gum and chew on toothpicks.

19. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Rod, my advice is ... Don't say "I'm going to try to stop smoking." say "I'm going to stop smoking!" Trying won't get the job done... you must make up your mind to never use tobacco of any kind for the rest of your life. Post on this forum that you will never smoke again and it will happen.

Stopping smoking is easy, compared to dieting for in time you get over the craving for tobacco but you never lose your appetite. I know, for I've done both.

20. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Rod,

Trying to quit here myself for the exact same reasons. I have to do a annual fitness test and it is getting harder each year. I don't think the ones who have never been hooked on them understand. The health, money, and second-hand smoke sermons never did anything but piss me off. You have to quit for yourself and it sounds like you want to. I tried Zyban and the patch and did not like them. The patch didn't work because it gives you a constant dose of nicotine whereas a smoker gets periodic surges from lighting up. The Zyban dried out my sinuses and made me nausiated. I am having luck right now just quitting cold turkey. I'm using Sunflower Seeds to keep me occupied and it has been about 4 days. The Dr. told me that it will take about 2 weeks before the physical symptoms stop and about 1 year for every year I smoked for my lungs to clear up. That alone is incentive to stop now and not wait. My wife gave me an idea...Every morning, put the same amount of money you would spend on cigs for that day in a jar. I am up to about $32 already. I see a Fish Finder in my near future. Good luck bro and keep up the good fight.