Going to try the salt today....

Discussion in 'LOCAL CALIFORNIA TALK' started by gilmafam, Jul 31, 2009.

1. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Goodmorning gang... going to take the ole "NorthRiver" Seahawk out today at Marina Del Rey..... My sons 29th Bday is tomorrow and a buddy that was with us at "Rancho" in Mexico gave and call and wanted to hit up the local salt water

There should be some tuna, yellow tail, and berry cuda ..... LOL... mostly we'll see sand bass, maybe some berries, and a little deeper we have some bottom fish....

Might drift over the "shit pipe" and see if a calico bass might come up... oh.... might have to drop a line by the "tankers" off shore, as thier permanent moorings are like fish magnets...

talk to ya all later.... I have the "sit on the Throne" feeling... :wink:, and then we are out of here... Got the ginsing and bracelet for my son... who has a weak stomach...LOL.... (not like his dad)

2. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Ray keep us informed on how you all did there. Take some pics if ya can an post them up thanks,,,

3. janzaldo

janzaldo New Member

State:
    South Gate, Cal
    Look luck Ray. You should run into a school of berries I heare thay are thick don't forget the iron!

Jaime

4. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    I hear the sandies are loaded up at the clam beds off Oceanside, Ray.
    Also yellowtail and a few Dodos at the 9 mile if you can find a good kelp paddy in the area.

5. thunderchicken

thunderchicken New Member

State:
    Yuma Az
    Wish you luck. Bring home a bigun!!

:cool2:

6. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Go get em Ray! Look forward to your report. Hopefully pics too:wink:

7. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Well gang had a great day on the water today.... other than one of the buddies having a "no show" because of his moms kidney stones.... in the early am, and that my "deck hand" son did not mention the bait pump cituation, we got lots of sun on the water.

The sea was rather "flat" with 2-3 ft swells at about 15 seconds....was easy to get the boat up on a plane and "slicing" thru the mini waves....

Headed out 3/4 to the west and started trolling under some birds and thru various pods of bait that was on top....tried the trolling for 15-20 min and decided to head south and check out a "party boat" and what it was doing..... nothing there..... after 10 min in 95 ft of water, the "Spitfire" pulled its anchor and went off to "new marks"

This was when I saw that the bait pump took its last "shit".... all the bait was dead....SOOOOOOOOOOOOO.... went over the "Hyperion" shit pipe and made a perfect drift down the curent side of the pipe which stickes up some 15-20 feet off the bottom in about 50 feet of water.... The closer to shore, the shallower the water, but the exposed part is about the same.....

Managed to get one 10 Sculpin and what looked like a "sea slug" or an abalone with out its shell.... (maybe the shit pipe did it to it)

Well.... CPR with rock fish, and two more drifts dreaming about the bait that died on us....

Oh well got to celebrate a "fish trip" with my son.... 29 tomorrow, and suck up some brewskis, and a bowl of ........

Oh..... I forgot to tell ya..... he tried the ginger and wrist band to avoid getting sick.... but a sausage/egg Mc Muffin and some good beer were use as chum..... He knew it was comming..... he just took another bit of ginger... (like I'd prob puke from that) and then he calmly said I'm going to ...... and he did,

So, Ray Jr. had to get back to work .... being self employed... and do something productive...LOL....:smile2:

Had a grate time.... the live sardines were almost seven inches long, and might had done well in deeper "rock cod" or "Lingcod"....

Oh well.... back to the house to do the "clean-up" and plan the next trip..... Isabella anyone????

8. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Wide open bite on sand bass and barracuda on the Huntington flats, Ray.
    Could probably fish 'em pretty good with plastics and Irons