Going to try out some jugs this weekend at Eufala Lake

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by daniel-delarosa, May 16, 2007.

1. daniel-delarosa

daniel-delarosa New Member

State:
    seminole, oklahoma
    I have never set out jugs or been on Eufala lake before. anyone know a good place for me to launch that has camp sites on the shore line and would be a good area for jugs? I want to leave my boat on the water, Its too big of a hassle to load and unload. I would like to find a campsite that isn't over crowded with wave runners and such also, cause I have been by highway 9 landing before and it doesnt look like it would be a pleasant place to fish. I can also use any advice:lol:

2. The Young Gun

The Young Gun New Member

State:
    Oklahom
    hey daniel. how'd your trip to eufaula go? i'm in McAlester and was goin to tell you some local decent spots. Where'd you camp?

3. solomon

solomon New Member

State:
    MS
    Out of curiosity, is Pete's still open in McAlester?

4. daniel-delarosa

State:
    seminole, oklahoma

It was pretty fun. I caught 5 channels and 8 blues that were all between 2 and 4 pounds. I ended up having to camp at highway 9 landing because I was running out of daylight. I really wanted to find somewhere else to camp cause of all the traffic on the water there. And of course there were some people out there drinking and being ridiculously loud- ALL night. That was kinda unpleasant since I had my 7 year old son with me. But oh well, we had a great time anyways.
    That was my first time setting jugs so I was kinda In the blind trying to figure out how to do it. I'm hooked now!:big_smile:

5. The Young Gun

The Young Gun New Member

State:
    Oklahom
    Well it was good to hear yall had a good time. give me a heads up next time you or any one else heads to Eufaula i'll do a little searchin and figure out where they're biting at. As for camping. We always do it on the south end of the lake off of HWY 31. Great fishin, less boat traffic, and i guess just closer to my house.

And as for Pete's it's still up and running strong along with all the other fine Italian Cooking in this little town.

6. solomon

solomon New Member

State:
    MS
    That and Polo's was the two best places I ever ate in OK. :cool2:

7. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    Daniel... I know I'm too late to do you any good, but the NoName Creek Ramp off highway 150 (just 5 miles or so south of I-40) is a good one to use. There's a nice camping area there and it's near the mouth of the North Canadian River. There's too many stumps in the water to be of interest to jerkbikes... and it's a popular catfishing area.

8. ahoki

ahoki New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I too am a bit late for this post but I figured i would jump in anyway.

Porum landing is a nice spot. (off I-40) Marina, a decent cove...sad to say theres boat and jet ski traffic no matter where you go on that lake.

Find the place just around the bend under the bridge named mudd creek. Hunt down some topigraphical maps and you can pinpoint where the creek runs. No jet ski's go in that area because of all of the stumps. Its a great place for jugs. You have several hundred yards to make a line of jugs rights down the creek. We always dropped like 40 jugs out there and did Ok.

Its pobably 2/3 mile from the camp site and boat ramp there at porum.

good luck on your next trip..... MJ

9. fishingrl636

fishingrl636 New Member

State:
    Lake Eufaula,OK
    Glad u had a good xperience on Eufaula. I live here on the lake. Im still learning so I dont hav much advise 2 giv. Sorry :embarassed:

I just started using jugs here in my little cove and hav been doin pretty well with blues under 10-15lbs. I jus bought some of the "noodles" from walmart 2 try. Im still loosing alot of them. I guess not enuf weight. Im bumping from 5oz weights 2 10oz. Im in a small boat so I want 2 keep them as compact as possible. What jug set up do u hav?

Mayb with the help of the BOC we'll move 2 the head of the catfish class. :wink::wink:

Good luck- stacy

10. daniel-delarosa

State:
    seminole, oklahoma
    I just use plain old jugs. I understand about compact boats, I have a 14ft seadoo boat. but the cool thing is that I can fit 18 jugs under the floor(i think its called a hull). when I went I used two 5oz weights and didnt have a problem. I also have some of those noodles but I never tried them, they are still in the package,lol. do you have a dock on the water?

11. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Stacy, are you trying to anchor your jugs, or are you freefloating them? IMO, if you are trying to anchor them, you're going to need a couple of pounds; that also means that you're going to have to have jugs/noodles large enough to float that much weight if a big cat does drag it into deep water. A 2-liter soda jug will float about 4#, so with a 2# weight hanging on the jugline in deep water, the jug is still half above the surface. It costs me a nickel apiece to spray paint my jugs yellow. I cut a slice of noodle 1/2"-3/4" thick, cut the center hole to where it's the same size as the soda jug cap, then glue the foam onto the cap. That gives me a place to stick my hooks for storage. Finally, I put a couple or three ounces of gravel, small scrap pieces of lead, etc. inside each jug. When a fish hits, it tips the jug up on end, the weights slide down into the neck, and the jug stays in a tiipped, or 'flagged' position. The weights also keep the jug from blowing around so much in the wind. You can use whatever kind of jugline you want; I like #18 twisted nylon with a hook 3' below the surface, and additional hooks every 3' to the bottom end of the jugline, which is as long as possible without hanging up too often (freefloating), or just a little longer than the depth of the water, so that wave action won't lift and move the anchor weight.

12. fishingrl636

fishingrl636 New Member

State:
    Lake Eufaula,OK
    Thanks 4 the info guys I appreciate it. Dont think my noodles wont even hold a pound, but as I get further into jugging and start making my own I will hold ur info invaluable.
    Thank you
    -fishingrl