going to the ozarks

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Dallas Alexander, Mar 25, 2008.

1. Dallas Alexander

Dallas Alexander New Member

State:
    kansas
    going to the ozarks april 3 wanting to know what the cats where getting caught on and what depth. Usually make it down 10 or 12 times a year.

2. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    A week is a long time. They have been getting some rain and the dams will start to let the water out. Things change in a hurry with that.

3. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    Hey Dallas, might want to narrow down where on the lake your going to be.
    Lots of folks all over the lake that can offer advice in their area. I'm at the 5MM and this time of year I would go shallow 3 to 8 feet because of the dirty water from rain. The current should be fairly heavy in the main channel that will increase the current in they coves and fingers so a nice shallow flat with a drop off to deep water near by could be a good thing. I would even go shallower at night 2 to 4 feet and if you can find someones crappie bed that would be OK also. Good luck, let us know how you do and how you did it. Bait, fresh shad alive would be #1 and then live 'gills with cut bait a distant second. The have so much dead shad to feed on right now you might want to do something different to make yours special. Where have I heard that before, never mind, different story and not enough time.

4. bigBB

bigBB Member

State:
    St.Louis, MO
    two buddies and i fished out of the state park last week.. only thing we could get to bite were channels.. and they were biting hot and heavy.. wanted to catch some gills to fish with but we didn't catch one the entire time. tried lots of different bait.. but good old worms were the only thing they wanted. In three days i would say we caught about 70 ranging from 1/2 a pound up to 3 1/2.. water should be a lot warmer by the time your there so will be different.. good luck

5. huntoften

huntoften New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Fished LOZ last week all week....bite was GREAT before the rains. Caught a 35lb blue, several 20 lb blues, and more 10lb fish than I can remember...once the rain hit and the lake jumped 4 feet, the fishing shut way down. Caught 3 fish in three days after the water came up.

6. kmcalester

kmcalester Active Member

State:
    Kansas City
    This some good info to have.

7. bluetick1897

bluetick1897 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Use the wind to locate them. If you can find a flat that the wind is blowing into they will be there eventually. The back of a steep bank cove might work as well if the water is moving. Are you looking for numbers or quality?

8. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    good lluck in the ozarks !