Going to the Dam!

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by SkiMax, Jul 29, 2006.

1. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    Myself and Chuch Parrish (ka_c4_boom) are heading to the tailwaters at Markland Dam tonight in his boat. Hopefully we'll get into some blues. I hooked into a nice one last night but he got off. I'll try to get some pics and info when we get back tonight!

2. rodpod

rodpod New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    Good luck guys..

3. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Hey good luck guys, I was up at our dam and I couldn't get them to bite much today. To hot I suppose.

4. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Good luck guys, hope you round up some big uns!!

5. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Good luck, hope to see some pics of some bigguns!

6. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    well i got on the water at 3pm 7/29 saturday launched the boat at craigs creek which is just above markland dam on the ky side of the ohio river . i cast net some shad in the marina there and headed across the river to fish the indiana banks plus babe watch it was a lot of pleasure boaters out lol i was settin just off the bank when i talked to max he said him and branden would be there round 7pm so i took my time and fished while waiting ,looked up and saw con. patrol coming down river he probly thought hed be writing a good ticket i had 5 rods out lol ky lisince ,we talked for a few told him i wanted to fish below the dam he said to lock thru course id never done that but he said there was a boat that looked like they were goin to for me to catch up to them so i thanked him and headed across the river . it was a pleasure boat with one man and 5 women i asked if they were locking thru they said no but explained to me how it worked so i did it ,it was easy i liked it lot better than loading boat and heading 10 miles down river to next ramp lol after i locked thru i proceded to go up to the dam and try my luck at drifting woohoo that was fun i was idling 4 mile an hour and still going down river ,swift water at the dam i wasnt expecting that so i pulled back up and dropped ancker in 25 ft of water it hung tight i fished this spot for a couple hours till max and branden showed up .liked to never got that ancker out had to use the motor to pull it out ,its a home maid ancker i got from jw -dreadnaught made from a disk anyway i put it to a good test. so i beached the boat and picked up my passengers and headed back out in the river were we tied off on a line that some other fisher left cause their ancker got stuck it had a bumper float tied on it . max and branden had 3 poles a peice indiana law lol i had 5 and we put live shad on and dropped our lines in 40 ft of water and bs'd till i hung a blue felt big in that current lol maybe 2# but it was the 1rst fish then not long after i caught a flat bout the same size . we fished there till 930pm or so then went to get fresh bait had to lock thru again cause we couldnt find any shad so branden had never locked he had a 1rst experience lol my second lol agian ...........continued

7. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    we went back to craigs creek and got shad and headed across the river to fish just outside belterras bank we anckerd and thru out our lines 11 rods sticking out of the boat it looked like a porcupine lol , branden broke out a lawn chair and set on the front deck max sat in the middle and of corse i was in captians seat we had some bites on shad but no commitments branden had a good bite and missed probly a good cat lol on blue gill big as his hand so he realed it in and cut it in half and thru it back out shortly after that max caught a nice channel bout 6# or 8# and bragged bout how he had me beat lol his one fish bigger than my two , we always goad each other it makes the trip more fun lol . well at this time branden was feeling left out still hadnt caught anything lol and his rod doubled down the one with the blue gill youd a thought he had a monster lol turned out a flatty bout 5# swallowed the hook so we kept it we threw every thing else back ,finally i caught another channel bout 3# it felt bigger it rolled up in the line and i brought him in backwards lol it was late and all our bait had been dead for a couple hours when i reached in the cooler for a dew and found some soft soggy tacos they had brought so i put one on my hook and dropped over the side of the boat branden and max were luaghing the a$$ off but soon stopped when i caught a channel on it lmao then we all baited up with taco lol it was to funny and too late to bout 330 am the fog rolled in on us quik i mean thick too an hour before that you could see yer lines by the lights of the dam from a half mile away but the fog was so thick you couldnt see those lights any more the lights at belterra were real faint and we were right beside them , so then we decided to quit got all the gear tied down and headed for ky i rigged up the spot light in the front of the boat and max watched for logs and i idled across the river ,some how after 15 minutes or so we stopped right back on the indiana side lol max proved this with a bottle in the water it floated down river to the left as we were pointed in to shore ( note to self put a compass on the boat ) so we turned and ran back across the river branden sat in the middle of the boat faceing me and pointing towards the lights from belterrra i kept the boat straight that time and watch the depth finder as it went from 12 to 25 to 40 to 30 to 10 back across to ky when we got close the lights on the bank showed us the way to the ramp 530 am we were on the road , we all had fun and caught some fish but the best catch of all was on soft taco lol lmao i told max and branden to come down home and i would put them on some better fish so when they do il post it with some nice pics lol thanks max and branden i had fun

8. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    I had a great time Chuck, thanks for taking us out. And yes, the SOB caught a channel cat on a soft taco from Taco Bell. One of the funniest things i've ever seen. He has his pole out behind him and he was getting another bite and I looked back and that pole was doubled, hardest hit we had all nite was from a little channel on a taco. Great stuff. Once again, thanks for the trip and the lesson on channel cat baits, lol.

9. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    LOL Max, that channel is an illegal immigrant shipped in from down south. LMAO Vern

10. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    This sounds like a goo time was had by all.
    ? how big of a boat do I need for the ohio?
    I have a 16ft. smokercraft with a 40 hp evinrude. I have been told it is to small for the big river.

11. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    catseeman ,i have a 16 ft alumicraft with a 40hp 20 inch transom had 3 people in it and did fine

12. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Leonard, I have a 14 foot semiV with a 15 HP and I have never been scared in it by myself. Add the weight of another person in the nose and I have to be quite careful. I wouldn't play around below the dams too much in any boat, personally. Even the larger craft have to be careful in that kind of current. Vern

13. Steve

Steve New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Can you explain how to go through the locks. Public ramp at Vevay is way to shallow for my pontoon. It's also a good cruise for a slow boat.
    Steve

14. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    lol yeah i couldnt launch at vevay either to shallow had the truck in water to front tires boat still wasnt floating , any way i launched at craigs creek its steeper , when you pull up to the lock you will see a sign that says pull chain for service ,do that then move back and wait the lock will open and let you in if theres boats in id let them out 1rst once inside tie off to one the metal float bouys aint wait it wasnt bad i waited 10 or 15 minutes before gettin in the lock waited in the lock for water to drop 10 to 15 min . some times you may wait an hour i was told depending on how many boats are goin thru at once at markland there are 2 locks the one closest to the bank i was told is for pleasure or fishing boats the other is for barges hope i helped oh and its free no charge to lock thru

15. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    A 16 foot smoker craft would do fine, no excellent, on the Ohio River. You just gotta use common sense. If you fish below any of the dams, stay back and be careful. If you see other smaller boats way up against the dam (you probably will) then go ahead a little closer. I would recomend NEVER going withing 200-300 feet of the dam, but I just think no catfish is worth dieing over. But away from the dams your boat will be excellent.

When locking through it's quite simple. When you pull up there are two different locks. The one closest to shore is for pleasure boats and the other one is for barges. Pull up to the pleasure craft lock and you will see a sign for a chain. Pull that chain. It will ring a bell and lot the lockmaster know you wanna go through. Next just pull back so he can see you (he will be sitting in the tower). He will open up the gate. Drive in and tie off to one of the white post that can go up and down (very easy to spot). when they get done filling/lowering the water the other gate will open and you can drive out. It's literally that easy! Let us know if you have any more questions.

16. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    max you a copy cat lol taco fish lol

17. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Max Thanks for answering . If I get my tow jimmy going i want to use the boat. If not I plan on fishing from shore at marklin one day /night this week if i can get the time.

18. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    I'd take your boat. Just go during evening so it's not quite as scary as anchoring after dark. It's a fun time. A little fish feels HUGE in that current. We were using between 4-8 oz of lead and the 4's and some of the 5's were wanting to drift up off bottom. Take some big sinkers with ya!

Also. if you launch from Craigs Creek (on the KY side, upriver of the dam) then stop at the little bait shop called Sargeant Sissies. An old man and woman own it. She fishes everyday and has a deep freeze full of fresh skipjack and mooneye. She sells them at a great price too. I bought 4 big mooneye, probably 14-15 inches each, the other day, already cut and it was 4 bucks. That was probably 16 peices of bait. They also sell live bluegills, creek chubs (don't always have chub), goldfish, etc. They cater to the catfisherman and snaggers at the dam and it's a great little shop! make sure to stop by if you are over that way. It is also just a hop, skip, and a jump from the dam. Just go across the dam into kentucky and head back up river. It's about 4 miles up (go through the little town of Warsaw) on your left. You will see a sign and a few older boats sitting around. Good Luck and let us know how you did!

19. Steve

Steve New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Thanks for the info Guys. Will have to try the locks next time I go.
    Steve

20. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Haha, sounds like you guys a good trip. Good fish, good company, good laughs, nothing beats that.