going to the colorado

Discussion in 'ARIZONA RIVERS TALK' started by Matthew Cook, Nov 8, 2005.

1. Matthew Cook

Matthew Cook Member

State:
    Arizona
    hey fellers. hows the fishing been lately? i was up at pleasant last weekend. caught some nice channels and missed some big fish. we saw some bass guys catch two flatheads jigging spoons. one was around ten pounds and the other one was huge. anyway i want to make it out to lake martinez this weekend. we've been there once but it was a flop. do you guys have any advise on where to go this time of year?

2. tdpasser

tdpasser New Member

State:
    Gilbert AZ
    Matt, Good luck to you and your Pop. My boys just finished fall baseball so it's back to fishing. We plan to try for flats this cold season. We plan to try the island across from the launch at Bartlett because it has transition water there from 5 to 7 feet on one side and about 30 feet on the other side. I figure fish the shallows during the day when they want to warm up in the sun and the deeper at night. We also caught some 4 and 5 lb channels in that area on raw frozen shrimp. we need the water to come down a bit so we actually have the island back. Now go get some biggens befor the temps go down. ;)

3. asukevin

asukevin New Member

State:
    Tempe, AZ
    tdpasser,
    i noticed you are from gilbert, and do you ever fish the local neighborhood lakes? i fish the islands neighborhood and absolultely nail em.

4. Billy Jo

Billy Jo New Member

State:
    Peoria , Arizona
    Hey Matt, I was at Lake Martinez the 11,12and 13 of October. Fishing was real slow for Flatheads only had one run on a bluegill and I thank it was a small fish.
    We did get a couple nice channels one was 7lb and one 13lbs and alot of small ones, all on cut bait. We fished north and south of the lake. I just looked for holes and would set up above them and let bait drift into them. Would fish each spot about 2 hrs if nothing would look for new spot. There are two areas you may want to try. South of the lake maybe 1 1/2 to 2 miles on the west side of the river Big cliff water about 18 to 20 feet deep. The other is north about 1/2 mile from the lake on the calif side. Its a large rock wall were the river flows into the reeds and around the wall about 15 to 18 deep along the wall. Those are only places we had any luck. Good luck and have fun.
    Bill

5. Matthew Cook

Matthew Cook Member

State:
    Arizona
    thanks for the feedback guys, and i will defiantly give those spots a try bill.

6. tdpasser

tdpasser New Member

State:
    Gilbert AZ
    asukevin,
    Yes my boys kick up a fuss if i don't take them. We go to the library lake and do well every time on good size channels. we fish the evening into night with minnows on the bottom or bobber or shrimp chunks.we let them go but it's fun. haven't tried eating em yet but i bet they would be good. i'll have to check on the islands lake. What's your technic there?

7. asukevin

asukevin New Member

State:
    Tempe, AZ
    tdpasser,
    usually i just throw a worm on with an eagle claw #6 hook and a swivel with an egg sinker and cast out relatively far. that seems to work, but with the big one i caught a few weeks back, i used magic bait. it smells and it works. but lately ive been just bass fishin there catchin them with plastic worms. a buddy of mine and myself fished the lake off of dobson and ray with hotdogs and we have caught fish there consistently with nothing under 1 or 2 pounds. in fact, i almost fell into the lake trying to grab my pole! as for eating the fish out of the islands, i wouldnt recommend it because of the water. i usually fish my the street but i have a permit from my girlfriend's dad. ive only gotten hassled once but if you fish away from the street on the grass you wont get hasseled. it is great fishing though, and if your kids are into catching bluegills as well, they are in quite the abundance there too.